Horrific bearing noise

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Plum

Horrific bearing noise

Post by Plum »

Could anyone tell me the difference between cp clutch rollers qty 24 part number 35x and those fitted to b52 clutch qty 24
Part number 18-2 -1 dimensions would be great many thanks
Chasing horrific bearing noise crunching cracking sound but everything working as it should run bike without dynamo connected gearbox all good.noise will start as soon as engine running gearbox in neutral and after 5 mins all quiet sound coming from mag /dynamo area if it was any louder something will seize or shear off it's that bad you can feel it in rear engine mounts any views or thoughts much appreciated (please don't mention crank bearings these have been done don't want to do again) :headbang:
Plum
Opps 1950 g3lc so rear mounted mag
clive

Re: Horrific bearing noise

Post by clive »

Clutch rollers are the same for CP and GB (b52) boxes. Could be magneto bearing, they can make a fair noise and vibration when failing. Is the mag chain too tight this would increase noise if bearing on the way out. If you don't have a stethoscope use a long Screwdriver with the handle to your ear to listen round the bike. Should soon help you identify where noise is coming from.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Dimensions as follows :

Roller bearings 1/4 x 15/64 inch for clutch- set of 24, suit AJS, Matchless pre 1951 pre Burman B52 gearbox. CP clutch
Original part number:
AJS Matchless 35-X

could be that oversize , too long rollers have been fitted that may explain the noise
Last edited by g80csp11 on Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clive

Post by clive »

I stand corrected. Never realised they were different, perhaps fitted the shorter rollers in both clutches! So later rollers for the B52 clutch would be too long for the earlier CP clutch.
clive
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Shouldn't be 1/4" long in B52 clutch. 15/64" sounds better. I thought they were the same as CP. Dave.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I would go by the part numbers, clearly if the two different rollers were the same they would not have a different number
Always start with the spares list to identify a spare part
clive

Post by clive »

Club are selling
18-2-1 CLUTCH ROLLERS; B52
Clutch Rollers; B52 (Set 24) Size; 1/4" x 0.236"

now to my mind that is 15/64 (though 1,7 thou different) rather than 1/4. Where do you get the 1/4 by 1/4 size from other than its a different part number?
clive
Plum

Post by Plum »

Thanks to all for said info on clutch rollers. I had dismissed mag as running very well easy start hot and cold it will idle slower than a steam engine if requested to but guess what I'm sure there should be a cage in bearing on drive end not the mess I've got.have bearings now need insulation washer cup/fan type it looks like busy weekend.many thanks once again.you got to love this old #hit
But it still ran as it should just don't know how one of life's little mysteries
Thanks again plum
clive

Post by clive »

I had a mag bearing failing on the way back from the Portugal IJR which is why i suggested it as a possibility. Screaming and vibration. Only made it home by spraying WD 40 in at frequent intervals. If replacing the drive side bearing buy two or three of the gaskets as it is very easy to damage them as you fit the outer race. They need to be fitted to stop the mag earthing through the bearing and wrecking it.
clive
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Clive, sizes of the rollers were from a google search for suppliers offering those part numbers
Last edited by g80csp11 on Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.