G3LS clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Fredhaith

G3LS clutch

Post by Fredhaith »

Hello!

I've just registered and I'm looking for a bit of help. For my 20th I decided to get a 1957 Matchless G3LS. This is my first classic matchless and I sadly came into problems with the clutch. A long story short, a nut came off and went where a nut wasn't supposed to go. It seems to have warped the back plate that holds the clutch plates but I can't seem to find a name or part number. It's the plate at the back of the clutch basket. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Freddie
Duncan

Re: G3LS clutch

Post by Duncan »

Hi Freddie, good choice of bike.

Do you have the parts list: http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf see pages 21 to 23.

If you have the correct parts for year you will have an AMC gearbox and clutch and a pressed steel primary chaincase, its not unusual to find components (clutch and gearbox) have been swapped for earlier versions so make sure you are confident what you have before ordering parts. There are two basic types of AMC clutches, one has a plain chainwheel and the other has friction material in it and the ears on the plain and friction plates are reversed, again confirm what you have before ordering, The 350 single also has one less pair of clutch plates and a deeper pressure plate.
Fredhaith

Re: G3LS clutch

Post by Fredhaith »

Thank you Duncan, I will have a look tonight at what the internals are looking like. Off the top of my head the part I think I'm after is the clutch back plate (page 19/20 part No 040353). Hopefully it's all original just to make it that bit easier!