Oil Leaks - Burman GB Gearbox

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
chappers1962

Oil Leaks - Burman GB Gearbox

Post by chappers1962 »

Had three oil leaks in the Gearbox on my 1956 G3LS. Not much, but enough to annoy the wife who would complain her nice new drive had piddle marks. Checked the main bearing and was in a serviceable condition, so just replaced the seal in that area. Fitted a new Kick start shaft bush and seal. The final leak was coming from the gear selector shaft. Wear on the shaft seems to be mainly in one area, i.e. at the seal point (strange as its plastic on metal) and is .009 in depth (.21mm). The shaft will have to do for now as no stock anywhere. Replaced the bush, and ordered a replacement seal from the scheme. The spares book quoted number 27-7-4. The seal on the scheme is 27-7-4 PWB4.OIL SEAL G/CHANGE QUADRANT. B52, however it does not look like the original (see pic - its the one on the right). Am I assuming there are two types of seal, and the one I ordered is not the right one for a GB?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pharisee

Re: Oil Leaks - Burman GB Gearbox

Post by Pharisee »

Draganfly Motorcycles have "excellent stock levels" of the gear change shaft. They use Burman part numbers rather than AMC numbers. Their number is 3718-52
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Pharisee wrote:Draganfly Motorcycles have "excellent stock levels" of the gear change shaft. They use Burman part numbers rather than AMC numbers. Their number is 3718-52
The also show the thicker seal but can't get the stock!

The thin seal stocked does work and we have sold several hundred. We could look at getting thicker seals but would need a sample.
chappers1962

Post by chappers1962 »

Thats great -will order a new shaft and fit the new (thinner) seal.