Prop stand spring location on right frame rail

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Stan Palmer

Re: Prop stand spring location on right frame rail

Post by Stan Palmer »

Concur completely with Ron.
"Brilliantly simple; no logic, microswitch, wiring or "why won't it start?" moments. It wasn't sexy enough to feature in a sales brochure, presumably, so was replaced by all the gubbins that strands you instead."

Its getting worse as well. Heard so many tales recently of problems with very expensive cars. And its all arranged for maximum expense. You cant even change a headlight in some cars without plugging into a main dealers system to have the part identified and released in the ECU. They say its to protect the consumer from fraudulent parts.
The problem with it all is age. Only a few manufacturers seem to be able to make electronics that last (oddly enough considering your comment, Honda seems to be one of the best !)
My current car is 2008, just before the worst of it came in, electronic handbrakes and the like. I am hoping to nurse it through until I am 80. If I'm still driving I'll look for a classic car with brakes.

Stan
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Get one of these now, best car I've had, Rover 75 Tourer hold on for the Connoisseur model:
Rover 75 1 (2).JPG
Already starting to creep up in price. Get the diesel CDTi, 131ps which is still detuned and easily re-mapped to 160ps.

Johnny B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

My son had one of those Johnny, when he was working for IBM. A petrol one I think, big engine, went like stink and he loved it. Rather heavy on juice. I don't think he paid for work miles, but they were very strict on personal use. One of the reasons he left them was a big row when he found they were tracking him even on holiday.
Certainly that's the kind of car I'm thinking of. I bounce between wanting to go smaller and the fact that the big old beasts are so solid and nice to drive. I still regard my 1984 2.8 Granada as the best driving car I had.
It's only for my dog these days.
Stan
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

My brother had one of the Grenada's back in the day. The Rover CDTi returns about 42mpg usually, better on a motorway run. Top box only required because of English bull terrier in the boot.

Five up, all the luggage and 4 bicycles on the Thule towbar thingy - 110 mph on the autobahn and would've done more. Mine's not re-mapped.

Having said that, you could always get a really good Audi A2 if you go small - aluminium body.

Johnny B
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

Johnny, my sons was a 2.5 litre petrol turbo estate. He said on the shortish runs between clients (mainly tills and access controls for supermarkets and banks) it could quite easily get down to 20 to the gallon. Exciting journeys though ! The BMW Diesel engines must be by far the best for economy and life.
Stan
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

I know topics have a tendency to diverge but this one takes the biscuit :o :o
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Mick D - You're right. It's down to lack of human contact during lockdown. - Sorry. JohnnyB
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

Sorry from me as well.
Stan
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

You're both very naughty boys - please post photos of your car's prop stands and detail whether they self retract or not.

;) ;) :rofl: :beer:
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Stan Palmer wrote: I still regard my 1984 2.8 Granada as the best driving car I had.
It's only for my dog these days.
Stan
Also any advice on how you adapted the controls for him/her
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire