Lubrication point on swing arm

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
murraymck

Lubrication point on swing arm

Post by murraymck »

A while back I asked a question regards the swing arm pin which on my machine, a 1951 350cc G3LS, had had a solid pin fitted. Thanks to forum members I have now resolved that and other things that had been done incorrectly in this area. As I am about to reassemble that section another question has arisen. As I got the bike in bits I don't know which side of the frame the washer/end cap that carries the lubrication screw goes. This is the one that you add the 140 weight oil through. Obviously I have a choice either the chain side or the other side and you can bet if I guess it will be the wrong one.

Thanks in advance

Murray
dave16mct

Re: Lubrication point on swing arm

Post by dave16mct »

It has to go on the gearbox side where you can get at it after assembly. The chaincase would be in the way on the other side.
Dave.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

And make sure you don't fit the filler screw in such a position as it will be obscured by the oil pipes ;)

Regards Mick
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

It should be at 3 o clock
clive

Post by clive »

I have one bike with it fitted on the chaincase side (by a PO) and one bike with it fitted so that the oil pipes obscure the hole, fitted by me :oops: Fit the oiltank before you decide on the orientation.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Mick D wrote:And make sure you don't fit the filler screw in such a position as it will be obscured by the oil pipes
Hi

As Clive says - do a trial run first :oops:
Oil Pipes.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Mine's at twelve o'clock, fitted on the gearbox side and the pipes don't get in the way. I think Clive has it, it's the best o'clock to suit how you are set up.

I use a disposable hypodermic syringe, minus the detachable needle, to inject the SAE140 into the hole. Got a couple of funny looks at the chemists. Nest time I think I'll try warming the oil first. I put the Matchless on the sidestand and get as much in as will go in.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote:I use a disposable hypodermic syringe, minus the detachable needle, ... Got a couple of funny looks at the chemists.
I had a similar experience when I was refilling the fluid in my boat compass and asked at the chemist for a hyperdeemic nerdle and pure alcohol.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Only you.......

JohnnyB
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Platters song Johnny??