Hello from a 'new boy' and Help!

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Hello from a 'new boy' and Help!

Post by G3L1946 »

Good afternoon to you all,
Firstly I'd like to say hello as this is my first visit to the forum since joining the owners club several months ago. My current, and also first project, is the restoration of a 1955 Matchless G3LS. What fun! Armed with all the original manuals and books by Mr. Bacon I set forth with the restoration which seemed to be going quite well. Until today! Having followed the perceived wisdom of what to strip off the bike first, and in what order, I decided to remove the dynamo ( fuel tank, seat, breakable bits etc. having previously been removed ). The 1955 manual makes this sound relatively easy but I've hit a problem. Removing the dynamo sprocket. The manual refers to spanner 017254 to hold the sprocket to aid removal. You can imagine my surprise and delight when I actually found this item in my old dads toolbox ( with quite a few R.E.M.E. workshop tools accompanying it!). Unfortunately, no direction is supplied as how to employ the said spanner. So, does any kind member have the knowledge on how this spanner is used? Just as importantly, any tips or guidance on how to remove the sprocket? I am, I must admit, stumped.

Kindest regards to you all and stay safe.

Stephen
clive

Re: Hello from a 'new boy' and Help!

Post by clive »

The thin spanner I think you are referring to has a spanner one end. This fits down behind the inner primary chaincase and slots onto the back of the dynamo sprocket. The slot for this may require turning the sprocket to find it. The other side of the sprocket requires you to remove the spring circlip and locking washer. You can then get a socket on the nut with the other end held by your special tool (a woodruff key to the sprocket stops the dynamo turning.)
Once all is off you will probably need a two legged puller to break the seal of the sprocket to the taper on the shaft.
The other end of that tool is used to adjust the clutch spring.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Hi Steven and welcome.
The spanner should fit the two "flats" on the rear of the sprocket and enable you to hold the sprocket while you undo or do up the securing nut on the shaft. It won't help you to remove the sprocket from the dynamo shaft. For that, you'll need something like the tool in the photo. It's a forked wedge that fits between the sprocket hub and the end plate of the dynamo. A light tap with a hammer is usually enough to break the taper and loosen the sprocket. Be careful not to lose the woodruff key when the sprocket comes off.
20210323_165009.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Clive & Pharisee,

Thanks for your replies. I've been summoned out of the workshop to get showered and sit down for dinner. So, will give that a try tomorrow. I will let you know how I get on. I will try to post a picture of the spanner I referred to.
Thanks again,

Stephen
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

clive wrote:Once all is off you will probably need a two legged puller to break the seal of the sprocket to the taper on the shaft.
Pharisee wrote:For that, you'll need something like the tool in the photo. It's a forked wedge that fits between the sprocket hub and the end plate of the dynamo.
A two legged puller would be much kinder to the dynamo armature wouldn't it John?

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Good afternoon,

Well, I tried the suggestions but to no avail. I have attached a photo of the dynamo fitted on the bike. I'm not sure if this is standard for year or not and, therefore, may be the removal issue. It certainly fits O.K. and is a Lucas. The cap end is aluminium (or similar material) and the wires enter via the rim of the cap rather than the end ( i hope that is clear?). The spanner ( photo attached ) will not pass over the shaft as far as I can see. There is a small peg on the shaft which appears about the same dimensions of the small end of the spanner. Loosening of the securing band does allow some lateral travel of the dynamo but not sufficient to permit the spanner to locate.Is this the correct tool for this dynamo?
Any further advice would be much appreciated and apologies, in advance, for appearing to be a dummy!
Regards,

Stephen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

G3L1946 wrote:The spanner ( photo attached ) will not pass over the shaft as far as I can see.
Hi

As said previously, the larger open end of the spanner locates on two flats on the sprocket - the small end is for adjusting the clutch.
Sprocket Flats.png
Regards Mick
Last edited by Mick D on Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clive

Post by clive »

The dynamo looks ok even if not exactly the model for your bike (I am not saying it isn't). Its the other end that is the issue. Firstly lets establish you have the correct dynamo sprocket. They look like this although they may have four slots in the face rather than two for the locking washer.
000725.jpg
The photo you have put up of the tool looks right but it may be thicker that the correct tool. This is only about 1/8 thick but if yours is the correct spanner size you ought to be able to make it work. Have you rotated the dynamo to slacken the chain so you can get the chain off the sprocket? The bolt that tightens up the dynamo needs lots of unwinding to allow the dynamo to rotate easily. Once the chain is off push the sprocket as far as it will go towards the inner chaincase. You should then be able to see the two flats machined on the back of the sprocket. If your tool is the correct one the spanner will fit on the two flats. The "peg" you are seeing may be the back end of the woodruff key which sits between sprocket and shaft.
Now take off the spring retaining clip and the locking washer. Hold the back of the sprocket with the spanner, and using a 3/8 drive sprocket (so there is sufficient clearance) or a box spanner undo the nut. If it does not want to come tap the the box spanner shaft with a hammer. This requires a 3rd hand which all AMC owners are advised to grow.
Once the nut is off you will need to push the dynamo back from the other side so there is room to get a two legged puller behind the sprocket. Tighten the puller up lightly and give the bolt a tap with your trusty hammer and the sprocket should come free, don't loose the woodruff key.

The bad news is that if you dynamo sprocket does not have the slots it is probably a mag sprocket and fitted without a woodruff key. I have had to do this to get an early long Alton Alternator fit behind a CP box. I had to grip the sprocket with a mole wrench to tighten the nut, hopefully it will come off sometime if necessary.

finally if your spanner really does not fit get this one from the club.

(017254)
DYNAMO CHAIN / CLUTCH SPRING ADJUSTING TOOL £5.25 EACH plus VAT
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I'll have another go at it later and try to get a bit more travel on the dynamo to see if I can insert the spanner. It just seems to be a tad too thick. Clive, the sprocket does appear to be the same as in your photograph ( as much as I can see of it ). Yes, the dynamo looks different to that in the manual although , during a trawl of online photos of the same machine, I did see others fitted with this style. 'Standard to the model' seems have a very wide interpritation I have concluded!

Thanks again,

Stephen
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi again Mick, Clive

Having really slackened off the retaining clamp I was able to increase the gap to get the spanner in. However, the flats accommodated a 3/4 ins AF spanner. Not the 'special tool'. Just remains to remove the sprocket by finding my appropriate puller.
Bit weird? Be nice to see what model Lucas dynamo this actually is.

Thanks,

Stephen.