rear petrol tank rubbers

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
jimh

rear petrol tank rubbers

Post by jimh »

I have a 1955 G3LCS which always seems to me to sit slightly high at the back of the tank, I can't see in the spares list a part number for the rear mounting rubbers for the G3LCS only the G3LC, could a member tell me if the following are correct for my machine.

The rear fixing bolt is 1&5/16" long under the head with 7/8" sleeve fitted through a 5/8" thick mounting rubber that has a shoulder that then locates in the tank frame support, the bike has the correct tank fitted.
Rob Harknett

Re: rear petrol tank rubbers

Post by Rob Harknett »

For all the tank fitting parts you should see in the parts list 4 off. ( so no difference front or back, all thick rubbers on top of the frame lug's )
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

It's a CS Rob so it's different to road models. There are no sizes for the rubbers in the '55 parts list and the tank is different for that year with 2 angled rear mounts. Perhaps you can trim the rubbers down so it looks better and check the length of the bolts and sleeves. Perhaps someone with a '55 CS might know??
Dave.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

For the rear fittings there should be 4 x
jimh wrote:I have a 1955 G3LCS which always seems to me to sit slightly high at the back of the tank, I can't see in the spares list a part number for the rear mounting rubbers for the G3LCS only the G3LC, could a member tell me if the following are correct for my machine.

The rear fixing bolt is 1&5/16" long under the head with 7/8" sleeve fitted through a 5/8" thick mounting rubber that has a shoulder that then locates in the tank frame support, the bike has the correct tank fitted.
The rear fixings comprises of 4 x 014995 thin rubbers top and bottom of frame lug 2 x 015411 steel sleeves, 2 x 016845 5/16 cycle lock nuts, 2 x 000174 washers (I use 4 though) and 2 x 000365 bolts
jimh

Post by jimh »

Thanks for the replies.

Dave - yes you are right it's the tank with the angled feet.

I can see that the right steel Sleeve to use is 015411 but on checking the parts list I find that is only 1/2" long (correct me if I'm wrong) which surely wouldn't work with the 014995 thick rubbers, as you say Dave I will probably have to experiment with different mounting rubbers.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Sorry it's a typo errors on the rubbers in the previous reply I meant 014996, 1/2" sleeve should be ok as you have 2 rubbers, 1 frame bracket and 1 or 2 washers to go through, It's what I use on my Comps with the rear angled brackets