Clutch ballbearing

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
G3L1946

Re: Clutch ballbearing

Post by G3L1946 »

Good afternoon to all,

Thank you so much for all your replies. So, as I understand it, quite simply, the ball bearing is at the wrong end of the rod! The last person to strip down the clutch must have assumed it's location incorrectly. Hopefully, no damaged caused. I will return it to its former, and correct location, when I have completed the job.

Regards to you all,
Stay safe,

Stephen.
clive

Post by clive »

Well Stephen lets hope its that simple. I think what the discussion has established is that we have seen many bodges in bikes we have bought/serviced (and in my case continue to use!). If the pushrod is the correct length for the number of plates then yes you can probably just put the ball the other end.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Clive,
Fingers crossed all will be well! I've certainly encountered a few ‘bodges' on this machine with extra drilled holes to make things ‘fit', metric bolts ‘forced' into non metric threads and parts from Lambretta's and John Deere's in the mix! It's keeping me out of the house and I'm enjoying sorting the problems out nevertheless. All part of the fun!

Thanks for your help,

Stephen
Yak

Post by Yak »

Hi.
When I had my gearbox out and serviced some time ago I am sure the ball bearing had to be inserted from the kick start side of the box. It would not fit the tunnel on the other side. Maybe wrong size bearing perhaps but gearbox is faultless.I have the CP gearbox.
Ray.
clive

Post by clive »

ball should fit down the tunnel on both boxes
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

A length of 1/4" O/D copper tube with a small neodymium magnet fixed in the end with Araldite, or something similar, and poked in from the clutch end, will hoik the steel ball out a little more reliably than a blob of grease. :D
20210330_105520.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

That's a good idea, but you might as well get one of the telescopic magnet pick-up tool Rob H suggested. Very usefull tool to have in the worshop. You need the one with the small magnet. Only a couple of squids or so.
Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Well, slap my thigh!
Naughty, naughty..gif
Ignorance is bliss, but I have an admission............
For 30 or more years I have never given a thought as to which end the ball bearing 'should' be. From my first encounter with the Burman B52 (and unaware of Christians Archive) I didn't feel happy about poking a ball in first in case for some reason it dropped out at the far end, necessitating a strip to retrieve it so I have always put the ball at the clutch pressure plate end of the pushrod. It's still the same but I'll not rush to correct it.
I did have one 'box with a ball at each end of the (presumably too short) pushrod and changed it to have both balls at the clutch end without any operating issues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'