Seating Pushrod Tubes

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.

Re: Seating Pushrod Tubes

Postby SPRIDDLER » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:46 pm

Iron Head wrote:I was sitting in traffic on Saturday and the old girl was being filmed by a couple in an Italian restaurant both waving enthusiastically - felt very proud of an all original ‘roadworn’ bike that was likely last on the roads in the 60’s!

I know that satisfied feeling: Whilst stopped in Normandy on my '54 civvy G3LS a 'young' chap said his Dad rode one in WW2 and asked me to follow him to his house in a narrow backstreet. He went indoors into a gloomy front room and I heard him tell his Dad he had something to show him. "I know" he wheezed "I can hear it, it's a Matchless". He wheeled the very old boy out into the street and his beaming face was a picture. I offered him a trip round the block even though he was far too weak to do it.

To keep the tubes down, if need be, I have a cunning plan that will involve cutting tight-fitting ‘O’ rings which I will stretch around the top ‘necked’ end of the tubes and then join them again with super glue thereby wedging the tubes downward.

You *shouldn't* be able to do that (as I guess you've realised) as the top shoulder would normally be inaccessible just inside the head. (Ignore the 'O' rings in the other tube hole - I use several of them at the top instead of the rubber sleeve).
BTW - if I was going to do a running fix (bodge) I'd move the tubes as far down as I could and tighten a cable tie around the top of the tube - maybe with some Evostik or a band of cycle inner tube or similar to help the cable tie grip the tube. I might even try with a Jubilee clip instead of the cable tie but really I'd take the head off and do it correctly ;)

100_1411 (640x480) (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I poke badgers with spoons.

Postby Iron Head » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:13 pm

That’s a touching story Spriddler and thanks for your suggestions which are excellent I’ll have a tinker this weekend.

Iron Head

Postby Mick D » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:36 am

Hi

If you can pull the tubes down far enough to reveal the upper waisted portion this would suggest your tubes are too short / incorrect for your engine.

Repeatedly pulling them down will slacken things off increasing the amount of oil leaked and the rate of the tubes moving - how long can you put up with this?

I'd fix it properly now while the weather's not too good.

Regards Mick

Previous

Return to G80 / Model 18