Leaking primary cases!

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Re: Leaking primary cases!

Post by Pharisee »

I bought my M18S "fully restored and ready to go". The number of bodges and mistakes I subsequently found beggars belief. The primary chain case for example. The tubular spacer that goes between the left-hand engine plate and the back of the chain case was on the wrong side of the engine completely. The hexagon long nut was fitted where the tubular spacer should be (with added washers). Fitted like that, the stud was too short, so the genius previous owner had welded two nuts together (badly) and added and extra but of studding to make up the length.
chaincase-1.jpg
chaincase-2.jpg
chaincase-4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pharisee on Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

dave16mct wrote:That hexagonal bar is the spacer/nut. You will need to add a washer or 2 to make room for the new seal to fit. It will be about an inch too long so cut it to length and put the joint at the top. Glue the ends if you like, I don't bother. Assemble carefully and most important, don't put too much oil in. It only needs just enough to barely touch the bottom of the chain.
Dave.
You cannot go wrong as to oil level. Manufacturers say you must fill with oil to te top of the inspection cover hole. Note the oil level transfer states. The oil level must not be allowed to fall more than 1/8" below the level of the inspection cover hole
Taid

Post by Taid »

Again, many thanks to all who have given guidance on my many queries ... I getting to be a pain to myself, let alone you guys ..

but another question on this primary chaincase sealing ..

How distorted can one expect the case to be?

When I offer up the outer half, it will make contact with the inner casing at the ends but have a gap of about 3/32" in the centre of the upper and lower edges. (Maybe why some PO sealed it with silicone .)
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Probably no problem for the new type seal. It was developed in America for CS models which took a bashing. The chaincases couldn't be sealed any more and they turned to a soft window seal which sealed OK. Our club later developed it's own version. I'm sure Don Maddon will put me right if I'm too far out with the origins! :D
Dave