QD rear wheel isn't!

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
iansoady

QD rear wheel isn't!

Post by iansoady »

I've been struggling to remove the rear wheel on my 1957 G80S and eventually ended up taking the whole lot out complete with brake drum. The drum seems immovably fixed to the hub and I don't want to try wedges or anything equally brutal.

Am I right in thinking that if I take the cover plate off (which I'll need to do anyway as I'm going to rebuild the wheel) that I'll have access to the driving pins and perhaps will be able to drift the drum off from the other side, with a soft drift on the pins?

Oh, and how does the finisher plate come off?

Yours in anticipation......
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
dave16mct

Re: QD rear wheel isn't!

Post by dave16mct »

You shouldn't need to hit anything but a little tapping with a rubber or hide mallet won't hurt. Take the brake cover off and you'll see what kind of pins you've got. They should have rubber sleeves in '57, but you might find all sorts in there. Once you can see this you should be able to persuade it to come off. The chrome plate is held on with small alloy rivets. Dave.
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

The plate on mine is alloy and there's no sign of any rivets - it looks as if it's just pressed on but it is thin & rather fragile so I don't want to apply too much force to it. It has a hole (1/2" or so diameter) about half way between the spindle and the spokes to give access to a grease nipple - this is closed by a rubber grommet.

I'm assuming the driving pins are seized into the alloy hub. Do they have cush rubbers or is it just metal - metal?
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
clive

Post by clive »

The pins are bolted into the alloy hub and fit into steel brake drum. Earlier Qd wheels had steel pins fitting to the steel hub, they wore and usually became loose however if oversize pins have been fitted they can be a squeeze to get off, a screwdriver between hub and drum will usually release it but once you have the brake plate off you should be able to drive the pins out. The later QD wheel had rubber bushes, these could have deteriorated and now be gripping the pins. I am not sure if the pins from this type show when you remove the brake plate. (My 58 G11CS has the earlier wheel so age alone of the bike may not give you the answer you can never tell whats been fitted by a previous owner, I think that externally the two types look the same but the experts may know of a difference).
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I thought you meant the cover plate on the brake plate. The alloy cover plate on the other side is held on by the bearing adjuster. From memory I think you can see the pins with the rubber sleeves from the brake drum side once you have removed the brake plate. Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

STOP. The wheel may not be a QD wheel that's why you had to take it out all in one lump.
Brake drum and all etc. I was wondering why I had to take the whole wheel out of my 1964 G12 CSR when it got a puncture at the 2011 Alternative. I said I could not get the thing apart, I was put right and told, it was not a QD wheel in my CSR. I did'nt know that, it looks the same as a QD wheel.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Metal pins in metal holes was 1955, the first year of the full width rear hub and only year it did not have rubber bushes.
aobp11

Post by aobp11 »

According to the spares lists the change from metal to rubber was somewhere during 1956. All touring spring frames in 1955-1957 had quickly detacheable rear wheels. I have 1956 bikes of both quickly detacheable types od which the metal type is original for sure.
Albert
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

The rubber came when they started with AMC Box, late 1956.
Poul
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am sure some changes did not happen on day one of the new model year, some old stock being used up.
Parts lists are not 100% correct. Errata's were issued, usually a one page loose insert, they get lost.
Service sheets were also issued to update mid year changes.
I had a 1955 bike almost new, slow running was a pig, the bike snatched a lot, like a clonking noise.
When I questioned this with my dealer, as to why I got his noise ( I was only 17 and my prewar bikes I had never made that noise )
Anyway the dealer told me the wheel was new in 1955 but was changed because of the snatching noise, nothing I could do about it unless I wanted the new parts with the rubber inserts. You may note in the 1956 parts list frames after 46593 had different drive pins. Perhaps this is when the change was made.