G80 clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
gregoire_sb

G80 clutch

Post by gregoire_sb »

Hi, I rebuilt a G80 from 1964 with push rod in the bore and ignition magneto set.
The spare list in jampot doen't seem to offer the item for the clutch i found in it! It has 4 friction plates plus the sproket wheel as the photo show.
[img][img]http://nsa33.casimages.com/img/2014/03/16/140316100136301970.jpg[/img][/img]

Any body could tell me where i have to loof for the right item.
Thank you
G.
gregoire_sb

Re: G80 clutch

Post by gregoire_sb »

last question what do you thing about the teeth. i have to change this sprocket?
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Is this what you're looking for?

It is the clutch basket & sprocket

040359 AMC FOUR PLATE CLUTCH SPROCKET.1962-

AMC Four Plate Clutch Sprocket.(To Fit With Bonded Back Plate 040584) 1962 -

Price : £85.50 each Other currencies

Price incl. tax : £102.60 Other currencies

Stock : Available
gregoire_sb

Post by gregoire_sb »

As i'm new in this job (i only rebuilt before a C15G BSA).
I understand that i have this kind of sprocket : 040359 AMC FOUR PLATE CLUTCH SPROCKET.1962 AMC Four Plate Clutch Sprocket with friction piece.

Is it possible to find friction piece only?

And what is the part "Bonded Back Plate 040584"?
I have one plate wich is slightly marked, is it this? i've forgotten to note his position when i dismantle the clutch.
And last question, the friction plate appropriate for this cluth is the double sided friction. (i thought that all friction plate have double side)

On wich web site do you find this spare part?
Thank you
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The clutch basket you have photographed is for an earlier model. As far as I'm aware it's now very difficult to get hold of loose inserts and if I'm honest I wouldn't bother. I'd go for the 4 plate basket and bonded backplate as Stuart suggested. Difficult to describe a bonded backplate I'll try and find a picture of one and load it for you to look at.
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

There are two variations of the AMC clutch. The early type, had the basket as in your photo. The basket, called a sprocket in the spares list, had inserts of friction material. Behind the sprocket there was a plain surface backplate & inside alternated drive plates, those with external tabs, which also had friction inserts, & plain plates which had tabs to fit onto the center. There were varying numbers of plain & friction plates depending of model, the list specifies 5ea plain & 4ea friction for the 1959 G80. Look at the spares list for 1957 to see how they looked.

They revised the design in later, in 1962 with the sprocket having plain surface front & back with a bonded friction surface on the backplate. These had plain drive plates & bonded friction plates on the center as shown on the 1963-64 spares list. The list shows 4ea plain driving & lined driven plates & a half driven plate with lining only on one side. the 1957-63 service manual shows both types. There were differences in the hub, as well.

Study the lists well as you cannot mix the two types as I have found in other bikes. The early type was prone to slipping, the later much better, & later spares are easier to find, at least here in the US. Make sure you have a full set of parts that match the type you have. Cheers, Don. 8-)
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hi Grégoire,
I agree with Don Madden.
Your sprocket/basket is not suitable for 1964, but if other parts are maching with it, no problem.
When you will be a member, you will have a 10 % discount on AMOC PARTS.
Regards.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

at the suggestion of an Aussie member, I araldited a couple of tractor pto clutch plates to the chainwheel on mine, loads of tractor places in France if you wish to go this way, kind regards
gregoire_sb

Post by gregoire_sb »

Hi, and thank you for all this precisions.

I understand that i've not the right clutch for the machine but it is'nt estonishing because of his anterieur life in Gabon!!!

If i chose to convert to 1962 as the Workshop_manuals/1957-1964__=M=_Workshop_Instruction propose it, i must change back plate, sprocket wheel, plane and friction plate. So i can only keep the Hub? That's right?

But i still don't understand where take place the single sided friction plate, between back and sprocket wheel?

Jean-Noël, to what other parts you think of to keep the one i have? And what i've to do to benefit of the 10% discount i dont' find out last time i connect!!! ;)
Last question what do you think of the teeths, are they badly worn?

Best regards
Grégoire
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Bonjour,
pour plus de rapidité, j'utilise le Français !
Pour adhérer au Spare Schème, et avoir une remise sur les pièces vendues par le Club, il faut être membre, et pas seulement invité, et verser 10 £ annuellement. Pour une restauration complète ça peut être intéressant.
Par ailleurs, je vous suggère de recourir au Dating Service, en fournissant votre n° de cadre et votre n° de moteur. Il est possible que votre moteur, qui possède une pompe Norton soit plus jeune que le cadre. Ou alors l'embrayage a été changé par un plus ancien...
A mon sens, il faudrait tenter de conserver votre embrayage, car une réfection complète avec un panier et tous les disques, + les caoutchouc amortisseurs ça va être onéreux.
Les dents du pignon ne paraissent pas anormalement usées. Il faut tester avec une chaine neuve l'engrènement des rouleaux : s'ils ne tombent pas en face des dents, c'est qu'elle sont usées.
Espérant vous avoir été utile.
Cordialement.