Rigid tool box

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
ajsm18

Rigid tool box

Post by ajsm18 »

Hello,
What is the correct tool box and mounting position for a 1947 rigid? I acquired my bike with the triangular box fitted low behind the gearbox but that interferes with pillion rests which won't fold up without fouling the tool box.
I had always assumed it should have a kidney-shaped box mounted behind the oil tank as with the WD G3L but, now I have one of those, it doesn't seem to fit between the frame tube and mudguard stay and the frame lugs are on the underside as if the toolbox fits low behind the gearbox.
I have seen rigid bikes with the kidney toolbox mounted low so just wondered what was fitted and when. Are there different variants of the rigid rear end of the frame, other than competition variants?
Roy Bacon's restoration book is unclear on this so I thought I'd ask those that know.
Thanks for any help or advice
Mark
Rob Harknett

Re: Rigid tool box

Post by Rob Harknett »

1947.jpg
This is 1947
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2014.06.11_22h13m05s_004_.png
In 1949 only swinging arm models got the Kidney shape tool box, the kidney box was never used for any year on a rigid model.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

As Rob says Kidney tool boxes were fitted to the swinging arm models. The earlier triangular ones were fitted both high and low according to the year. If you want to get answers to this sort of question and many other about our machines it is well worth investigating Christian's archives on http://archives.jampot.dk/ which contain a wealth of information. In this case its easy to answer your question by pulling up the 1947 AJS sales brochure http://archives.jampot.dk/Promotional/S ... ochure.pdf which clearly shows the toolbox mounted high up above the rigid frame rail. Having said that I have three mounted on my rigid , one above and one below the rail on offside and one above the chainguard on the nearside, mind you it has a Harley seat fitted currently too :lol:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Thanks for the replies, chaps.

I can see that I used the wrong term when I described a "kidney" toolbox! What I meant was that shown in the '47 illustration. The one I have fitted is a more triangular shape but maybe that isn't AMC at all! I've looked through the brochures for the later years at the rigid models but they are all using the "WD" toolbox, albeit, the later years have it fitted above the lower frame rail.

I can also see the '47 illustration shows the lugs in the same position as mine, so that is good. I'll just have to work out how to fit it! The holes don't line up so looks like I'll have to hack it around a bit!

Thanks, again, for all the help.

Mark
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

As Clive states you do need to check year & model as to which tool box and where it fits. Fittings will differ.
If you find your box does not seem to fit in either position, does it have the opening knob in the L/H corner?
If the knob is in the centre, you probably have a rare prewar AJS toolox.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Hi Rob,

The knob is in the left had corner. When I bought it several years ago, it was khaki, suggesting it may have been off a WD bike. It also has mounting holes on both sides. By "sides", I mean the one with the hinge and that opposite it but there are only one set of lugs available. I'm sure I can work something out, even if it means drilling another hole or two!

Thanks for your help

Mark
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Maybe you do not have correct stays. However as you say, should not be too difficult to fit. The finale thing to watch, if it is the wrong box, tools may fall out when you open it.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

Yes I'll need to work it out before I fit it. The toolbox that's fitted is actually fine but it would be nice to fit the correct one so I can fit pillion rests and, maybe, persuade my wife to ride on the back!!
clive

Post by clive »

If you want to take a pillion on a rigid get used to riding to avoid all potholes, raised metalware , speed humps etc. Also I would recommend a sprung seat rather than the foam filled one, but you may have difficulty tracking one down. Cannot quite work out why your toolbox fouls the pillion footrests. If the correct one it should be able to fit above or below the frame rail without being a problem. It may be that you have a toolbox off another bike. I think it is the Royal Enfield one which looks very similar but is much deeper. Either way however having the pillion footrests installed should not be a problem as you should still be able to kickstart the bike with the pillion rest down.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix