Fork assembly

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
nottsSteve

Fork assembly

Post by nottsSteve »

Im not sure how the parts in the picture below go together. It seems the circular plate (on the left with the 3 screws) goes inside the shroud and is then screwed up with a long screwdriver down the shroud. To fit the other circular plate looks like I need to prise the end cap off the headlamp shroud and place the plate behind the end cap. Then it all clamps up? Is this right?

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g35 ... 5e4079.jpg
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: Fork assembly

Post by saltbox alf »

I would say that the threaded ring goes inside the shroud, the countersunk ring at the bottom of the yoke, so that the screws go up inside the shroud from the bottom of the shroud. I think a thin leather washer goes between the bottom ring and the leg. (I might be wrong on that). this is from just having a look at the parts diagram.
I think the screws must go from the bottom up into the shroud or they will foul the leg if they go right through the ring

Hopefully someone else will know for certain :?

Just edited this as my fingers got carried away with the wrong description :headbang:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Still don't get it right doh!! i meant foul the the spring shroud, not the leg
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Straight forward...Countersunk plate goes inside shroud (after leather washer is fitted I think?) Screws go right through yoke and screw into the threaded circular plate which is placed above the yolk You require a longish screwdriver.

The Norton Roadholder type has the thread cut into the bottom yoke so does not require the upper ring.

ATB

Les
nottsSteve

Post by nottsSteve »

Thanks for replies, I thought because there are holes in the bottom of the headlamp shroud ive screwed that on too ie I dropped the threaded ring in the headlamp shroud after taken off its end cap. whereas, Les You say the threaded ring goes between the yoke and headlamp shroud?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The lower shroud and the headlamp one are both attached to the yolk, so you have it correct Steve. The leather washer is then fitted into the lower shroud before fitting the spring.
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Made a mistake with my answer...you have it right...I forgot the headlamp shroud has the turned over bottom so just as you and Steve and probably Alf say....the threaded ring goes inside it...BTW....I would use some "Threadloc" on the screws....would be easy for them to loosen and a hell of a job to re-tighten when all assembled.....ATB...Les
clive

Post by clive »

Les P H wrote:Made a mistake with my answer...you have it right...I forgot the headlamp shroud has the turned over bottom so just as you and Steve and probably Alf say....the threaded ring goes inside it...BTW....I would use some "Threadloc" on the screws....would be easy for them to loosen and a hell of a job to re-tighten when all assembled.....ATB...Les
Oh its easy to retighten you just have take off the front wheel, then drop the stanchions out..........................(voice of experience) :oops:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
nottsSteve

Post by nottsSteve »

Thanks for all the clarification, seemed a very odd way of doing things which made me second guess myself.
Cheers
bunners

Post by bunners »

The hardest bit I found was getting the holes lined up as mine were not equidistant around the plate, or did I have a dodgy plate(s) either way I found it a right pain in the arse to do.
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.