Fork assembly

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
nottsSteve

Re: Fork assembly

Post by nottsSteve »

No, mine were not equidistant either
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Hi there, later models (certainly '54 on) did not have the 3 screws, relying on friction to keep all in place - and it works well enough? Personally I wouldn't bother with the screws - they are nothing but a pain in the a**e!
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

With the later yolks there is a small spigot to locate the shrouds and headlamp lugs fit into a collar but on the earlier yolk there is nothing to stop them floating around that's why the screws are needed, and yes I agree a total pain in the arse they certainly are!
Invicta

Post by Invicta »

Hi, I am currently having a problem getting the screws to even start in the threaded ring. They are just not long enough , though they are the ones that came out when I stripped the forks. You are right they are not spaced quite equidistanced they only fit one way round. Why they made them like that is beyond me. I will try to get some longer screws as even if I could get them in they would only have 1 to 2 threads in the threaded ring.
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Invicta wrote:Hi, I am currently having a problem getting the screws to even start in the threaded ring. They are just not long enough , though they are the ones that came out when I stripped the forks. You are right they are not spaced quite equidistanced they only fit one way round. Why they made them like that is beyond me. I will try to get some longer screws as even if I could get them in they would only have 1 to 2 threads in the threaded ring.
Seems like a lot of hassle for no benefit as the screws were deleted from later machines. How about this. If there is no raised ridge under the bottom fork yoke, just make up a couple of rings to be a nice fit into the shrouds and the inner a tad larger diameter than the stanchion. held in place with the thick leather spring seating washer. Job done. No mucking about with small screws up at the top of the spring shouds. I like originality but not at any price.