oil feed unions-ajs 18s

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
tibsy

oil feed unions-ajs 18s

Post by tibsy »

viewed from the rhs of the engine which union is the "feed"from the tank, is it the lower one or the top one[?]
tom
Charles

oil feed unions-ajs 18s

Post by Charles »

Tom,

My 1957 to 1962 workshop manual shows the feed to the pump is the lower one with the return to tank above it. That is how my 1961 G80 is plumbed.

regards
Charles
tibsy

oil feed unions-ajs 18s

Post by tibsy »

hello charles,
well i`ve got that right then.
i`m a bit puzzled as to why no oil is getting past the pump.
despite turning engine over by kickstart with spark plug removed, the oil level(tank)is not dropping. and despite it being over 3 weeks since first filling oil tank nothing has even drained into the sump!
MikeM.

oil feed unions-ajs 18s

Post by MikeM. »

Tom,
There may be an air lock in the feed pipe, try slackening off the feed into to crankcase a tad (don't remove completely) and allow the oil to seep out then retighten the feed. then revert to turning the engine over with the kickstart, hopefully this will cure the problem.
MikeM.

moley

oil feed unions-ajs 18s

Post by moley »

Hello Tom.

Is the oil pump correctly located with the plunger. if the plunger is not in the oil pump groove it will not turn the pump.. i would tak off an end cover for the oil pump kick the bike over and you should se the oil pump turning..

andy

tibsy

oil feed unions-ajs 18s

Post by tibsy »

well i solved a problem[:)], and then created one[:(].
slackened off the three small(bleed/acsess?) screws in turn and got oil flowing, then decided to take off front end cap just to confirm pump plunger was rotating and pumping (even though i had already done this when the engine was on the bench).
rotating and plunging it indeed was.
putting the oil feed pipe to the rockers back on the threaded part of the front end cap sheared off!
so before i order one at nearly £12 from jampot spares, has any one got a spare one(part no-000773) going cheap?
tom