Help won't start

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Tellybelly

Help won't start

Post by Tellybelly »

Arfur the 18S has only done 250 miles in the past 4 years. Rode him down from Farnborough to Portsmouth when I bought him without any major problems but fuel was low before I topped him up, so he could have been in storage with low fuel level.
Stood in my garage for 1 1/2 weeks while I fixed chain case leak and a few minor issues. Now won't start. Didn't touch anything that would affect timing or fuel squirting. Has got racing mag (not sure why!?) but otherwise standard 1953 18S engine in 1956 frame (as far as I know). He will occasionally kick back on manual advance (ouch, there goes another blood clot!) but is lifeless when moved towards retard. Plug is sparking and getting wet after a few start attempts.
One suggestion is that tank debris has got into carb and blocked pilot jet, because tank was not kept topped up. Will strip and check carb and flush tank if debris found but would much appreciate advice from you model 18 gurus on any other possible causes.
Many thanks
Graham

itma

Help won't start

Post by itma »

easy things first, Graham change the plug and put some fresh fuel in it.., NGK plug and take the suppressor cap off if its got one. cert for a spark killer, nice big fat blue spark?
Tellybelly

Help won't start

Post by Tellybelly »

Hello Ken. Thanks for pre Horlicks reply.
Fuel was fresh for journey. Topped up a tank that was already about 1/8 full. Plug is currently Champion with no suppressor. Plug gap is 0.022" and spark is certainly blue but not particularly fat. Will try an NGK first and see what happens.
I may not be able to try this for another week or so but I'll report findings.
Thanks again
Graham

thygesen

Help won't start

Post by thygesen »

Hello Graham

I had a very similar problem, when I tried to start my G80 1954 this spring. I cleaned the carburettor several times with compressed air, checked the ignition, fitted a new plug and even fitted a new HT-coil. But still he same situation. The engine fired once and then died. The plug getting wet after after some attempts.

First after cleaning the carburettor in an ultrasonic bath the problem was solved. There was obviously still some dirt in the idling circuit.

Starting up with a reassembled carburettor can in my experience sometimes be a little tricky, because you don't really know the right adjustment of the pilot screw and idling screw. So be a little patient.

Best regards, Ebbe

Tellybelly

Help won't start

Post by Tellybelly »

Thanks Ebbe. If the new plug doesn't fix it, I'll go for the carb overhaul. We've got ultrasonic at work, so I'll make sure it gets cleaned properly and flush/compressed air blast the tank at the same time. I'll also check the ignition timing. Can't think why it should have shifted but you never know. I'll post the cause for future ref. if I find it !
Cheers
Graham