studs cylinder base G80

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
matchpeter68

studs cylinder base G80

Post by matchpeter68 »

Could anybody tell me if the 7 3/16 long studs for competition models do have the same thread in the crank case as the short studs for iron barrels?
My engine is a 1952 G80S and dew to a cracked iron barrel I want to fit a different top end with a bolt through barrel and head solution.

Peter

itma

studs cylinder base G80

Post by itma »

presumably you want to fit alloy cylinder? the studs have the same thread TPI but next size up and different centres,you can`t fit ally barrel to std cases unless you fill in these threads and reposition. however, the spacing of the head bolts is the same for ally head as barrels, so to fit the ally barrel you only need to drill out the head bolt holes to accomodate the sleeve nuts, you don`t have to buy the head to suit.
where has the barrel cracked? on the flange? never come across that before....
only very,very, very bad boys will stamp their cases with a C after fitting the ally top end[:0][:0][:0]
matchpeter68

studs cylinder base G80

Post by matchpeter68 »

Dear Ken,
thanks a lot for helpful info. The iron barrel cracked half the way between flange and lowest fin. I think I choose the option of repositioning the threads but it wasn´t my intention to stamp a C on the case. As the bike is a mixture of AMC components I just want to increase power and reliability.
I prefer a wolf in a sheep´s clothing and to be honest there is stamped G3L on...

best regards
Peter[:)]

itma

studs cylinder base G80

Post by itma »

"....increased power AND reliability......"????????
Biscuit
Deceased

studs cylinder base G80

Post by Biscuit »

At least you won't suffer from blown head gaskets

(couldn't spell gaskets!!!!!)