Kickstart Lever

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
56G80S

Re: Kickstart Lever

Post by 56G80S »

UPDATE to post starting Humble pie:

Blacksmith cut the top off the kickstart lever with the folding part and welded it onto the stem of the AMOC lever with the missing folding part. He used a part chrome stick welding rod and it's a good job. Don't know what we'll do when he packs up as has been threatened.

Had to drill through the old threads in the lever which were by now weak. Tried it with the previous high tensile bolt (despite it being a tad too short) and now seems OK. t does seem that the slot in the eye on the lever requires substantial effort to close it up to clamp the shaft firmly. The lever worked to, gently, turn the engine over with no clamping at all so the splines are a good fit.

Will source a longer bolt asap so that there's full engagement with the nut; might get a long nut.

Nearly set for Rushden now.

Johnny B
cfaber

Post by cfaber »

Interesting. I'm having my mahcinest plug the AMC spline and recut it for the b52 transmission. I'll post photos once done ;)
Fix it until it's broken!

Otherwise how will
anything get done?
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Wow, that seems extreme.

And costly.

I've not bought a B52 lever, the one I have (for spare gearbox to the AMC) is OK. I'd have thought that the AMC is the preferred gearbox and hence the levers for it might be at a premium.

How wrong can I be. It would be good to see the photos. Maybe I'll do some when I get back from Scotland.

By the way got longer high tensile (8.8) bolt longer and with a longer shoulder so it fits better into the groove on the spliene and it's a better fit now than it's been in the last 40 odd years. Weld not too pretty but cost a key factor.

Johnny B
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

B52 folding kickstart hen's teeth, rocking horse poo, sensible trump quote. Rare as and expensive. I know, I want one. Considering a transplant from an AMC one.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

spookefoote1956 wrote:B52 folding kickstart hen's teeth, rocking horse poo, sensible trump quote. Rare as and expensive. I know, I want one. Considering a transplant from an AMC one.
Well you're correct on that statement, however I do happen to have a spare one. I paid lots for it and the chrome has cracked but it's perfect spline and lever wise. PM if you're interested.

Beware of using the Wassell AMC folding levers, they're made of Swiss cheese and the splines disappear in no time at all even when the lever is clamped using high tensile bolt and nut.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ajscomboman wrote: .......the Wassell AMC folding levers, they're made of Swiss cheese .......
In other words they are emmentally unsuitable.
o.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
ajscomboman wrote: .......the Wassell AMC folding levers, they're made of Swiss cheese .......
In other words they are emmentally unsuitable.
o.gif
I can only speak from my experience with them, YES!! They are cheap compared to AMC Classic Spares lever but that is far superior quality and again I speak from experience. If I have to buy another it'd another AMC Classic Spares one even at 3 times the cost.
spookefoote1956

Thanks for the offer Spriddler but I'm under orders to be on my best behaviour from the missus regarding bike bits.

I do however have a thought I would like to pose. I am type 2 diabetic and have lost quite a bit of weight due to diet etc. This does mean I was large I've dropped from 9.5 to 8.5 stones so I'm not your typical type 2. Kicking a 500 single can be difficult at times. So mathematical chaps get the slide rules out. If I were to transplant another portion of a kickstart, say an extra 2", onto the current one how much mechanical advantage would it give me and indeed is it even worth contemplating?

Cheers, Chris
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Sorry if I'm losing the plot here but, extending the lever by 2" will make it easier for you to kick over - however it will also increase the torque on the kick start shaft, (for the same force).

If you're having trouble kicking your bike over it will help

If you're having trouble with the splines it won't, (but may induce it in the future).

An extra 2" will equate to around 20% less force being required

Regards Mick
spookefoote1956

Cheers Mick, you're not losing the plot I went a little off piste. My splines are in lovely condition I was just wondering if it would help with starting.