Seat for G80 ??

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Matt Durkin

Seat for G80 ??

Post by Matt Durkin »

Hello guys.... :)

As some of you may be aware, I'm a newbie, involved in a joint project with my brother to complete the restoration of our Dads 58 (ish) G80 that he was unable to finish before his passing earlier this year. :(

We are looking to be pointed in the right direction to anyone who may have a seat for sale, the condition of the upholstry is irrelevant, its will be remade and trimmed , however what we do need is a good solid foundation for this, ie, a solid straight base... can anyone please help us at all :?:
uktom77

Re: Seat for G80 ??

Post by uktom77 »

Have you tried RK Leighton? They can probably provide a complete seat. Search for them on here for contact details or look in the jampot mag for ad. They come highly recommended.
Matt Durkin

Post by Matt Durkin »

My brother pulled in a favour with a friend and having made our own seat pan, we had the seat foamed up and upholstered by a company called Seeleys.

Hopefully this link will open and you can see the awesome job they did for us. :D

http://www.seeleyscartrimmers.co.uk/sin ... cycle-seat

Alternatively, search Seeleys Car Trimmers and click Projects.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Seat foam on dressing table.jpg
Fine result, but you're lucky as many women finding that on their dressing table would be selling their story to the Daily Mail. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'm sure if you posted the dimensions of the seat base they would be very useful to restorers in the future.

Regards Mick
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

Mick D wrote:Hi

I'm sure if you posted the dimensions of the seat base they would be very useful to restorers in the future.

Regards Mick
The problem with that is the number of variations in frame dimensions from one year to another. If you are making your own seat base, and this is the best way of ensuring that it fits, you are best getting the exact measurements from your own frame!! It's a bit of a minefield and quite often pattern seats just don't fit properly.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Did the frame dimensions change that much? - even if they did, I still think it would be beneficial to record the dimensions of this base if possible.

Yes, anyone with a degree of manufacturing ability can produce a seat to fit but reproducing an original design relies on original data.

Regards Mick
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

There were 4 different seats to my knowledge, all different.
Up to ‘55 with Jam-pots
‘56 only
‘57 on with Girlings
‘60 on long seat
I found out the hard way about the ‘56 one year only seat and Leightons are now aware of this
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

I have a vague recollection that for 1957 only, the rear subframes were a different length for the 350 and 500 single frames. This would obviously affect the seat mounting points. When restoring these old bikes you never know exactly what's been done to them in the past so I still think it's best to measure rather than rely on some universal measurement which may be wrong for your bike!
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

So we're actually saying the same thing - the OP has a 58 ish seat from which he could pass on the dimensions.

I couldn't reconstruct a seat base given only the bike frame to work from - perhaps I'm missing something.

Regards Mick