sleeve nut g80

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
matchpeter68

sleeve nut g80

Post by matchpeter68 »

Can anybody tell me the dimensions of the sleeve nut, retaining head and barrel on heavyweight competition singles?
As I want to produce them and the bolts meself I need outer diameter, size of the inner thread and length.
Thanks in advance.

Peter

Biscuit
Deceased

sleeve nut g80

Post by Biscuit »

if you had asked the question a month ago I could have supplied the answer. But surely Peter, the holes in the barrel will give you the diameter of the studs, which will surely be 26TPI, and the depth of the head will give you the length of the sleeve nuts.

matchpeter68

sleeve nut g80

Post by matchpeter68 »

Thanks for your reply alan but the problem is a little bit different. I have no alloy barrel where I can measure the holes. I convert an iron barrel to a long stud version. My last barrel cracked with a bore of 83,5.
I just found another barrel in my shed with a wall damaged by a gudgeon pin. I had to bore it out to 86mm and fitted a piston I bought maybe 12 years ago at stafford. I´m sure there is not enough flesh to only bolt it down at the bottom flange. But maybe I buy a complete bolt and sleeve nut kit.

itma

sleeve nut g80

Post by itma »

Peter,the cylinder stud spacings on the crankcase do not line up with the head holes. If you are thinking of full length studs, you can do this to put std head onto an alloy cylinder, but not the other way round with out major reworking, I think.
Biscuit
Deceased

sleeve nut g80

Post by Biscuit »

Crikey Ken, that makes difficult reading. Discounting any OEM jobbies, the head cannot be bolted to an alloy cylinder as the are no threads to bolt to. Through studs must be used, with modifications to the crankcase
with respect to the pitch of the stud holes, ie plugging, drilling and retapping. Definitely not worth attempting

itma

sleeve nut g80

Post by itma »

It was a long day Alan, seems to me he`s trying to try to fit iron barrel a la alloy barrel with the long studs, as you say not really an option, I seem to remember that those long studs used a larger thread at the bottom as well, just to make it more difficult.