seat attachment point ?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
I.Taylor

seat attachment point ?

Post by I.Taylor »

After many years of wanting a 500 AJS I finally now have one. A basket case.
Seems to be a 49 although Roy can't find the number The gearbox reads G80 A 49 and all the parts look to be 49 .
The motor is a later 54 18s
I have done a fair bit of research but can't seem to find a photo on how the front mount of the seat fixes to on the frame. Parts book shows nothing.
As you can see from the Photo there is no mount nor is there a mount for the rear of the Gas tank to attach to.
Not sure why they were cut off.
As with many British bikes the side stand lug has been broken off. Thoughts?
Thanks for your help with this

Duncan

Re: seat attachment point ?

Post by Duncan »

Hi Ian, good luck with the project, take lots of pictures and keep us posted on progress.

The original seat had bolt on ears on the front threaded on one side the bolt passes through the first ear and the frame threads into the second ear and is held with a lock nut, the 1949 on ears were adjustable for height.

Modern replacement saddles often have ears already attached.

The ears have a small kink in them but should be easy enough to fabricate to suit what you have, I believe that AMC Classics have both pre and post 1949 types available if you need the correct item.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

when I started to rebuild my machine I found that not only had the rear tank mountings been removed but the oil and battery carrier mounts also, pretty sure the idea was to have a cetral oil tank between the engine mounts as for comp use, I did not realize these were missing until after powdercoating, I drilled a hole through one site of the seat tube and managed to get a caphead bolt into the tube on both front and rear surfaces to mount these items, the tank, I fabricated a couple of brackets and attached them to the tank tube with the front seating pivot point, I have a dual seat so it doesn't need to pivot, I did find the hole on this tube far to big for any reasonable sized bolt so turned up a nylon sleeve, works O.K, but as C.E. say's 'you gotta improvise' kind regards
I.Taylor

Post by I.Taylor »

Thanks guys
I've been busy this weekend helping out with our Vintage Groups display at a local show.
I really need to now look at what's there then start to assemble everything to see what is missing.
updates will come
I.Taylor

Post by I.Taylor »

If someone has a chance could they post a photo the front seat mount to frame.
Both my Ariels have lugs on the frame for the seat to attach to . I've just seen another Photo of a AJS 18 rigid with no seat attachment on the frame.
So I'm guessing they were removed .
Ian
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I.Taylor wrote:If someone has a chance could they post a photo the front seat mount to frame.
Page 24 (Frame) and Page 28 (Saddle shown with fixing brackets/ears) is shown in the 1949 Parts List

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ingles.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
I.Taylor

Post by I.Taylor »

Thanks for the link.
The seat mount I can make but where is the mount for it to attach to on the frame?
The parts book shows no mount on the frame and as mentioned before another photo of a 16/18 m frame shows no mount.
I see no cut marks at all on my frame so that leaves me puzzeled as to where the seat U bracket attaches to.
Johnobirches

Post by Johnobirches »

Does this pic help...
http://www.jampot.com/pic_display.asp?id=1672
Good luck
JR
clive

Post by clive »

Look at the 1952 parts list and you will see that the "ears" at the front of the seat were moved forward later, the bolt goes through the hole in the top rail. This still does not explain why there are no tank mounts for the rear on your frame and no sign they have been cut off. These frames with the angled down tube were used up to and including 54 I think. I am wondering if you have an up to 54 (or later ?) front loop from a comp bike. Some competition aluminium tanks were fitted by ears on the frame at the front and by a bolt through the frame at the back (ears on the tank). They also had dual or small single seats that mounted to the front/rear frame joint. The only way you are going to be sure of what you have is to get the dating officer to date the frame and tell you what it left the factory as.
The frame number is stamped into the off side of casting that joins the top rail and the down tube on your frame.
I attach a photo of the frame that would have been fitted to an early 50s rigid, ignore the fact that it ihas a swinging arm, they were the same. The bit in front of the seat hole is the bracket for the headsteady and slides further up the frame.
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
I.Taylor

Post by I.Taylor »

Thanks Clive.
well the seat mount is solved.
Interesting I had sent Roy the Frame numbers 4003X to see if it was indeed a 49 and what model ,where was it shipped to etc.
it seems AJS did not have the number recorded although it seems to be correct sequence from what I have seen for numbers on 48-50 rigid/spring frames
Roy pegged it at late 48 to early 49 as all the parts that are with the bike are indeed 49.
gearbox G80 A 49 although the motor is a 54 18S.
The 2 holes drilled at the front and the one on top of the main upper frame with the bracket must have been for another tank I can only guess but the tank with the bike is a proper AJS tank
Ian