Dual seat quandry.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Dual seat quandry.

Post by Pharisee »

The dual seat currently attached (fitted doesn't apply here!) to my bike is quite obviously not the correct one. The mounting point centre distance isn't right nor is it deep enough. It was attached using some rather crude "extension plates".
The seat fitted is 14.1/2" between centres. The mounting point centre distance on my frame is approximately 13". I'm assuming that the rear mountings are the holes in the rear suspension mounting plates.
Any idea what model the current seat might fit?
According to the parts list, the correct seat for my pre '56 machine is 02-1199... Is that one 13" between centres?

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Reynard24

Re: Dual seat quandry.

Post by Reynard24 »

The club spares scheme sells the dual seat - 021198 for 52-56 models. The Jampot frame dual seats are much deeper in profile than the one in your photo so a quick trip or 'phone call to Kettering might help you out.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Reynard24 wrote:The club spares scheme sells the dual seat - 021198 for 52-56 models. The Jampot frame dual seats are much deeper in profile than the one in your photo so a quick trip or 'phone call to Kettering might help you out.
021198 is a Matchless seat with Red piping NOT an AJS which is 021199 with Blue piping. We currently have 1 Matchless and 2 AJS seats in stock.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Are the seat dimensions different between AJS and Matchless? Mr Pharisee was after confirmation of the mounting point centre distance - a call or visit to Kettering would still help him out with that question. If the CORRECT seat is also in stock then surely that's win-win?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Reynard24 wrote:Are the seat dimensions different between AJS and Matchless? Mr Pharisee was after confirmation of the mounting point centre distance - a call or visit to Kettering would still help him out with that question. If the CORRECT seat is also in stock then surely that's win-win?
No not at all, all I was pointing out was the difference in part numbers. The number first quoted was for Matchless with red piping and from the picture his seat had Blue piping for AJS. As there was no reference to which Marque was being talked about I wanted to highlight the difference between the 2 should he wish to contact or visit the parts service.
Being 135 miles away I can't physically give any dimensions as I haven't a seat to measure.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The seat you have looks like a later type.
For your bike the difference would only be red pipping M, blue AJS. TWO types I believe, short and long, so check which your bike has. Maybe the longer version came about with Girlings, experts will confirm. Or check the parts books yourself, you can then see for yourself pictures etc. Seeing for yourself is quicker than asking here. We all have the same info to use.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Reynard24 wrote:The club spares scheme sells the dual seat - 021198 for 52-56 models. The Jampot frame dual seats are much deeper in profile than the one in your photo so a quick trip or 'phone call to Kettering might help you out.
Advice taken... I've just got back from a trip up the A6 to Kettering and returned clutching a nice new dual seat that will fit.
ajscomboman wrote: As there was no reference to which Marque was being talked about I wanted to highlight the difference between the 2 should he wish to contact or visit the parts service.
You're absolutely right... my bad. I should have specified AJS.
Rob Harknett wrote:Or check the parts books yourself, you can then see for yourself pictures etc. Seeing for yourself is quicker than asking here. We all have the same info to use.
I did look but the pictures in the parts lists are just fairly rough drawings. They aren't photographs and there are no dimensions. I just wanted to be sure that the the seat I thought I wanted was, in fact the correct one.

All sorted now... Thanks for your collective responses. On to the next problem... why isn't my battery charging?..... but that's a a subject for another time and not here and now. :D
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The correct seat should have the approx13" hole centre's The pictures in parts list and drawings are often better than photo's, that do not always show detail or are wrong. They do not show the seat rear fittings very good. Nearly all photo's you will see will be wrong. They will show Hex head bolts. See pic below. Not good and I only took one quickly. But clearly shows the chrome pan head slotted bolt. It should cover the seat eyelet, but my old repro seat does not line up and sit quite right.
SDC14374.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

When I bought the new seat, I also bought a couple of new chrome plated rear fixing screws to go with it. I've also bought a new front mounting stud as the one fitted wasn't correct. It was only 7/16" diameter instead of the 1/2" it should be and was the wrong thread.

Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Well done you got the right bits, Those pan head chrome screws look so much better than incorrect hex head bolts.