Dual seat quandry.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
JimFitz

Re: Dual seat quandry.

Post by JimFitz »

The chrome screws do look good but I have found fitting the nuts on the other end when fitting the seat is a bugger - the only way I have found is to hold the nut inside a ring spanner with a piece of gaffer tape.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I use a piece of flat nylon bar. Drilled near one end and tapped to suit the screw, also put a big countersink on it. Just hold the bar near and screw it in. Doesn't need to be tight as it'll never come loose and only needs one tool to remove. Only takes seconds to remove.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have never had any problems in over 60 years getting the fittings apart. I use a small ring spanner just to hold the nut only. Maybe its because I have small hands???
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

Rob Harknett wrote:I have never had any problems in over 60 years getting the fittings apart. I use a small ring spanner just to hold the nut only. Maybe its because I have small hands???
Must be easy - some tea leaf nicked mine from an autojumble car park a few yers ago :twisted:
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Hmmm.... fitted the new dual set today. It certainly looks the part but there's no way I can get the rear fixing screws in. I guess I should have expected that when I saw it was made by Wassell. The holes in the seat line up in the vertical direction but the seat sits at least 3/4" too high for the holes in the seat to line up with the holes in the frame. I tried sitting my large neighbour on the seat and I tried pulling it down with a ratchet strap but to no avail. I'll have to leave those screws out for the time being. I did think briefly of drilling two new holes but that would be a bodge too far, even for me. The front mounting is secure so the seat isn't going to fall off.
Last edited by Pharisee on Wed May 04, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Spanielsam

Post by Spanielsam »

Had the same problem with my 1956 G80S
Tried 3 different seats and none fitted, bought a Wassel seat and still not quite right
I ended up putting the shiny screws into the holes in the seat just to fill the holes
The front of my seat is securely fastened and the back held on with industrial velcro until I can sort some brackets out
Somebody told me that certain models had odd seats fitted when new , no idea if true ?
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

The '56 model had a one-off seat - the earlier '55 and later '57 do not fit.
The reason is that in '56 the rear sub-frame was modified for the impending Girling shocks and therefore the front half of the seat is as a '57 but the rear half is the same as a '55 with Jampots
After some discussion with Leightons they sent me a sample to try.
They then modified it following my trial fit and are now able to produce a seat that fits correctly for the "odd ball" 1956 model.
Spanielsam

Post by Spanielsam »

Stuoyb wrote:The '56 model had a one-off seat - the earlier '55 and later '57 do not fit.
The reason is that in '56 the rear sub-frame was modified for the impending Girling shocks and therefore the front half of the seat is as a '57 but the rear half is the same as a '55 with Jampots
After some discussion with Leightons they sent me a sample to try.
They then modified it following my trial fit and are now able to produce a seat that fits correctly for the "odd ball" 1956 model.
Wish I had known that before I bought the new Wassel one , it doesnt mention that in the parts book ... doh !
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

To quote Michael Caine - " not a lot of people know that".

I didn't know of the priblem until I bought a '56 seat from Leightons and it wouldn't clear the Jampots.
Despite sending photos they still denied there was a problem - "Your bike is wrong", "Your being a bit picky" were the replies.

After they had more complaints they contacted me via Roy Bellett and this time we had a sensible discussion where they realised the problem existed.

If the "experts" wouldn't see the problem the the generic parts suppliers like Wassell stand no chance.

At least there is now a good source for the one year special.
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Always found Leightons to give a first class service.