Oil pipes...

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Oil pipes...

Post by Pharisee »

I don't believe that parts are specified by the manufacturers for no good reason so could somebody tell me why the 18S has a steel adaptor/union/whatever screwed into the crankcase for the oil feed pipe to screw onto? I can only imagine that it's purpose is to 'protect' the female thread in the crankcase but if this is the reason, why hasn't the return pipe got one as well?
Forgive me... I'm easily confused these days :D
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Rob Harknett

Re: Oil pipes...

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2016.09.28_00h02m39s_001_.png
As far as I can make out ( look at the picture ) this is done so you can get to the top pipe nut OK then the fitting in the crank case extends backwards giving clearance so you can get a spanner on the bottom one OK. Make sure you do not over tighten the top one or you will crack the crank case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

As Rob says, it's to aid assembly, fit the top pipe first, then the union and finally the lower pipe - all, of course, before you fit the exhaust :oops: :roll:
Oil Lines.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

Mick D wrote:Hi

As Rob says, it's to aid assembly, fit the top pipe first, then the union and finally the lower pipe - all, of course, before you fit the exhaust :oops: :roll:

Regards Mick
Okey dokey... Thanks for the tip. I guessed there had to be a legitimate reason. :D
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Johnobirches

Post by Johnobirches »

Mick - that picture and explanation is a big help to me - thanks for taking the time to post it.
Best Regards
John
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

It also helps, or at least helped me to get them back on the right way round.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango