G80C FRONT FORKS

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
CRAMMOND

G80C FRONT FORKS

Post by CRAMMOND »

I am trying to get my forks apart to replace seals and polish,I have got the bottom bolts out etc but there seems to be some kind of collar on top of the seals and im not sure if thats whats holding them to-gether,any help would be appreciated.Thanks.
Biscuit
Deceased

G80C FRONT FORKS

Post by Biscuit »

Assuming they are AMC forks, and nobody has added anything, what you are seeing is the oil seal. To remove it apply gentle heat and yank down on the slider, this can be difficult, as the rebound spring softens the blow, just persevere. Another rare scenario is that the threaded portion of the slider extension has broken away and that is what you can see.

CRAMMOND

G80C FRONT FORKS

Post by CRAMMOND »

Thanks for that i will give it a go & let you know. Martin.
Don Madden

G80C FRONT FORKS

Post by Don Madden »

Wrap some rag aroung the top of the slider & stantion tube before yanking. Oil, perhaps hot, will spatter far & wide. Good luck, Don.
CRAMMOND

G80C FRONT FORKS

Post by CRAMMOND »

Thanks guys,tried heat and yanking but no joy,I did cotact spares scheme to see if there was a tool & jim replied with no ,so I will have to be carefull & give it another go to-morrow
CRAMMOND

G80C FRONT FORKS

Post by CRAMMOND »

I did forget to say that Jim at spares said it was a threaded retaining collar.Oh joy.
Biscuit
Deceased

G80C FRONT FORKS

Post by Biscuit »

well you live and learn!. I have never met, or seen in any spares list, a threaded collar at this point.

laxy

G80C FRONT FORKS

Post by laxy »

MARTIN,
THIS SUBJECT WAS COVERED BY MYSELF AND OTHERS ON THIS SITE SEVERAL WEEKS AGO. I DONT KNOW IF OR HOW ITS POSIBLE TO RECALL PAST TOPICS BUT IF YOU HAVE NO LUCK BACK REFERINCING "IS THERE SUCH A PHRASE?" THEN E MAIL ME AND ILL DO MY BEST TO HELP.
REGARDS KEITH._
Eamonn
Webmaster

G80C FRONT FORKS

Post by Eamonn »

The forum entry referred to by Laxy is at
this link

To search for anything in the forum area, click on the Forum menu item at the top menu bar and choose the 'Search' facility. You can search for individual words or phrases and even search by username.

There is another search on the homepage, but this one searches the whole website and not just the forum area.

Corners like a Lego man
Steve Martin

G80C FRONT FORKS

Post by Steve Martin »

Hello Grammond,
I don't know how different the competition forks are in this area, but is there any chance that the 'threaded collar' is actually the chromed, threaded slider extension, [possibly shortened?] If they are still in place you'll never get the forks apart. Unthreading them can be a game, heat, strap wrench, [not a chain type!], and a lot of care. They crush very easily!
Incidently, by 'bottom bolts' that you removed, do you mean the short ones in the recess at the very bottom of the alloy slider? [7/16"by 5/16"] These fix the damper tube to the slider, and don't need to be removed if you are only changing the seals or bushes. No harm done, but things will rattle about a bit! My apologies if you are familiar with the normal procedure, which is easy to follow if you have a manual,or even just the parts list; perhaps your forks have been modified?
Cheers, Steve.Edited by - Steve on 07 Dec 2005 12:23:39 PM