Allen head - magento chain case

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
flamesnrm

Allen head - magento chain case

Post by flamesnrm »

All

Struggling to find a supplier that can provide allen head bolts for the magneto chain case cover ( and others ). Everyone I've found only supplies slotted. Just wondered whether this is a wild goose chase. I expect there's some supplier that will provide allen head to the same pitch and length somewhere.
dave16mct

Re: Allen head - magento chain case

Post by dave16mct »

Try Dave middleton :
http://stainlessmiddleton.co.uk/36-ba

Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I believe AJS screws would be STD 455 new pt. no. 000455 6 off which are 11/16" 2BA
Matchless STD 484 new pt.no. 000484 6 off 15/16" x 1/4 26 TPI.
I am always curious of reasons why one should change to non standard parts? Would the allen screw head chew up an already worn seating further. Perhaps with the extra leverage over tighten and crack the cover. If the bike is AJS, the BA screws may be easier to find, not so for the 26TPI Matchless screws. Wonder why AJS & Matchless screws threads differ ? But that's what parts list show. ( Check your parts list to make sure I am correct ) I did make a file of common fitting sizes, as sizes are not always given in post war parts lists. Only one person wanted the file, yet we still get questions , what size ???????
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Hi Niall, Kempton jumble is on the 21st and you should be able to get stainless cap screws (Allen screws) there, I generally get the longest needed and then cut down to length needed.
flamesnrm

Post by flamesnrm »

Thanks All. I'll be at Kempton on the 21st so will have a mooch around.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

"I did make a file of common fitting sizes, as sizes are not always given in post war parts lists. Only one person wanted the file, yet we still get questions , what size ???????"

Rob, is it in the technical Tips? I looked but didn't find it.

Johnny B