front wheel spindle assembly

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Chris Berry

front wheel spindle assembly

Post by Chris Berry »

I have just ordered a new front wheel spindle assembly to replace my existing bearings on my 1948 G80. My bike has a steel hub and am now concerned that the assembly advertised on the AMOC site (900659 REPLACEMENT FR WHEEL SPINDLE) is only suitable for alloy hubs. Can anyone advise me on this. If so does anyone manufacture the original bearings anymore

regards Chris Berry
Stuoyb

Re: front wheel spindle assembly

Post by Stuoyb »

012825 (40-G12M-H10 as fitted on your '48) was used right through to the introduction of the Interim/Norton hubs.
The new assembly is a complete unit ready to fit and selectively re-uses existing parts as shown in the instructions contained in the pack.
clive

Post by clive »

Chris Berry wrote: If so does anyone manufacture the original bearings anymore

regards Chris Berry
Not as far as I am aware, also unlikely as they are way too complicated versus the kit supplied by the club and would be massively more expensive if manufactured. I have fitted one to the 6 inch hub wd type without issue and I suspect this is similar to your wheel.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Chris Berry

Post by Chris Berry »

clive wrote:
Chris Berry wrote: If so does anyone manufacture the original bearings anymore

regards Chris Berry
Not as far as I am aware, also unlikely as they are way too complicated versus the kit supplied by the club and would be massively more expensive if manufactured. I have fitted one to the 6 inch hub wd type without issue and I suspect this is similar to your wheel.
Thanks Clive for your help. It seem everything will be OK with the new cassette
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am sure there was a company supplying the bearings a few years ago, which were very expensive. Herts section member that owned Revolution bearings may know if the person making them is still about. That was a long time ago, and he may had actually been making the replacement type now offered by the club.
40-G12M-H10 new pt.no. 012825 was used for over 20 years up to the early 60's Now with club 900*** pt.no. Stu confirms will fit your bike..
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

It was the Vintage Bearing Company who were selling them, they were available on ebay a while back, if you look on their website you can see a photo of an assembly http://vintagebearings.co.uk/gallery/2528960
Chris Berry

Post by Chris Berry »

Duncan wrote:It was the Vintage Bearing Company who were selling them, they were available on ebay a while back, if you look on their website you can see a photo of an assembly http://vintagebearings.co.uk/gallery/2528960
Thanks Duncan,
They still had one left so I am out of trouble now. Your help was greatly appreciated
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Out of interest, how much was were they?

My G80 is still running on the bearings that were in when I bought it in the mid 1970's. They've only had the very occasional clean out and grease and gun applied at intervals. The front runs round interminably when balancing the wheel and although there is a very faint roughness at one point when listening all seems well.I do get through some miles although not as many as I used to.

I wonder if the cassette style will last as well?

Will it matter as what's in will probably see me out.

Johnny B