Matchless G80 L 1947 barn find in country Australia

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
dhgarske

Matchless G80 L 1947 barn find in country Australia

Post by dhgarske »

Guys
I now have a 1947 Matchless G80 L that I found in a shed on a farm in Australia. I want to identify it if I can. How do i go about doing that?
Engine Number 47/G80 3870

All the Pictures of the bike are here
https://goo.gl/photos/NbS9Jy69dmy6Gwo56

Its been in that shed for 40 years. The owner customised the bike in his younger years - he did the Easy Rider paint job on the tank and put the Ape Hanger bars on.

Its got an AJS timing cover and no exhaust, headlight, tail light, blinkers, and speedo

So... what now? Scratching my head on where to start.
I want to get it running, and go from there.
Doug
He who has the most toys when he dies, wins!
GOLDSTAR

Re: Matchless G80 L 1947 barn find in country Australia

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I think you have a cracking find there, all the parts you will require are available, if you are not yet a member of this club then probably the first and best advice is to join, there are many who use this forum who have a great knowledge of these machines and are more than willing to assist in rebuilding it, big engine, light frame single seat, what could be better? kind regards

it
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

A mixture of years. You may want to establish via the club dating officer, if the frame matches the 47 Matchless engine. Look's like it may. Then you must decide. Restore as a 1947 Matchless or just get it running with what you've got.
dhgarske

Post by dhgarske »

Rob Harknett wrote:A mixture of years. You may want to establish via the club dating officer, if the frame matches the 47 Matchless engine. Look's like it may. Then you must decide. Restore as a 1947 Matchless or just get it running with what you've got.
How long does the Dating Officer usually take?

and can the Dating Officer set me up with any "good sorts" on this forum?
He who has the most toys when he dies, wins!