Model 18S

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
silverarrow

Model 18S

Post by silverarrow »

forgot the chaincase. ist priority is to keep oil in the chaincase. use sae straight 30. don't be tempted to use a higher viscosity to reduce oil loss as this will result in clutch drag.

To seal the chaincase use a generous dollop of silicone sealant between the mating faces and leave to cure just finger tight for best result. i have in the past achieved a good result with Bostik or similar. Don't overfill the chaincase or it will spew out of the back of the rear case half.

Les Smith (I've been practising on mine for the last 28 years!)
Keep smiling
silverarrow

Model 18S

Post by silverarrow »

Suggest you invest in a BMS photocopy manual and parts list. You will then have this info and everything else you will want to know about your machine.

I use straight 50 oil in the engine and gearbox and a proprietory fork oil for the forks.

hope this helps

Les Smith
Keep smiling
Charlie

Model 18S

Post by Charlie »

Can anyone suggest a source of grease gun or a fitting for a Wanner gun that will fit the small nipples on the full width hub bearing grease point. The webs of hub prevent use of average fitting. Sounds a bit basic but is a problem.
In the BMS 1958 Spare Parts List and M.M., rear bearings, is the cup for oil seal (018094) correctly shown? I know, I should have made notes as I stripped it down.