Plug specification for '49 G80 with no compressio

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

I am trying to get the optimum plug for my current setup. I am now using NGK B6HS but would be interested in trying the Platinum or Iridium equivalents to improve starting.
I have a rebuilt Magneto, new standard size Hepolite piston, rings, exhaust valve and all bearings and no compression plate so engine likely to run a bit hotter than normal.
I am currently running with a concentric from a Triumph Trident (which works surprisingly well !) but intend to revert to the Amal '89 with an original style pancake air filter.
Sam
bjork

Post by bjork »

The B6 grade is fine, I have used one in my G80 for ages and ages. When I first got the bike it went like stink. I later found that the compression plate had been removed and a similar amount skimmed off the head! This gave a slight piston/head interface argument.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Michael

Post by Michael »

I tried which sparking plug is the best.

I started with B6 like recommended, changed to B7 and now I use B8.
I removed the plug a lot of times to check the colour.
B6 was too "white", that means too hot, B8 is light brown, that´s fine.

I suggest to buy a range of plugs and test it by your own, because the carburator and engine setup is different from bike to bike.

The recommodation is always a compromise for all drivers. One should adapt the spark to the personal driving style (racing / cruising / country roads / city limit).

Best wishes Michael

TommoT

Post by TommoT »

Michael,
just beware that you don't cure a problem by introducing another. The B8 sounds like a very cold plug to use on a G80, maybe you you have a carburation problem, that you're now curing by using a cold plug? Most people I have asked use either the B6 or B7, but ofcourse there could be other factors dictating the use of a cold plug...
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Being a chemist could someone please explain the difference between a hot/cold plug
Chemists do it with test tubes
itma

Post by itma »

you burn your hand on a hot one
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

The difference revolves around the amount of insulator around the central electrode, and hence the gap between the body and the insulator. BUT I can never remember which is which!!

bjork

Post by bjork »

'Cold' plugs are those that run cooler because they disipate heat into the cylinder head more quickly, hence they run at a lower temperature.
Hot plugs are those that transfer the heat less quickly, and so run at a higher temperature.
If you compare two plugs from opposite ends of the heat range, you will see that one has a lot more material surrounding the centre electrode. (Simplistic explanation-material differences play a part too)
With NGK, the lower numbers are hotter, with Champion it's the reverse. A hotter plug is often used in an engine that burns less cleanly, as it copes with all the unburnt rubbish knocking around the cylinder. Useful with oiled up two strokes. A cold plug lasts better and is safer in an engine that works hard. A hot plug in an engine that works hard starts to melt things. And make 'funny' noises. If you want to know more, take a look at the plug firms websites, there's loads of useful info, including why those Iridium plugs are so good.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Thank you people I understand now
Regards
Stuart
Chemists do it with test tubes
Michael

Post by Michael »

@ TommoT

I know that my choice is unusual. I checked it by the coulour of the plug after a lot of tries.

Ok, I should have used a 276 Amal to be original, I found a brandnew monobloc carb for a price I was not able to say no. So I fixed it. Of couse I adapted the jets.

I checked the carb adjustment with my colour tune sparking plug.
Starting and idling is excellent.

After reboring the cylinder, use of new piston incl. rings I got a compression rate 8.5 : 1.

This was not the aim of the procedure but that is the fact now. So I checked everthing and realized that B 8 is the correct plug for my bike.

The hint I tried to give was checking and trying is better than stick to the rules.

Michael