Rear wheel angst..

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
clive

Re: Rear wheel angst..

Post by clive »

Druncle we need a photo of your set up really to be able to advise. The 52 rear wheel would I think have had the snail cams held in place by woodruff key on the spindle. The swinging arm itself would have a small lump for the cam to run on one side. The other side had an adjuster which would be set once to ensure the rear wheel was in line and then left alone. It was on the inside of the swinging arm so that the cam can push on it. All chain adjustment is done by turning the spindle. Both the 55 and later qd wheels have a double nut on the nearside end of the spindle ( one retains the brake plate and drum the other tightens the wheel.) In this case two adjusters are necessary and fit through the slot for the spindle.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Druncle wrote:Turns out (many thanks Rob) that my frame and engine are '49, with a later wheel confirmed, currently not a good setup regarding wheel allignment. So my options are... find a proper earlier wheel, fit a later s.a. (assuming it would fit the frame ok) which sounds cheaper, or, seeing if I could fabricate and attach later style wheel adjusters to the older s.a...as in Pharisees pics. If anyone has any strong feelings on this approach, I would be very interested . Cheers all ☺
Your chain guard won't fit a later s/arm.
Roy
Druncle

Post by Druncle »

Thanks Clive... I couldnt manage to post a pic on the forum, but p.m.ed one to Rob, who confirmed the set up, and the mismatch! Tis indeed a later wheel in an early snail cam s.a., and as such lacks a functioning wheel adjusting set up, which I may try and fabricate. The brake plare anchor appears to function however. I am going to scribble on my drawing board for now..
Many thanks all, for the very useful advice.