Special tools

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
tbounds

Special tools

Post by tbounds »

This is my first adventure into old British bikes . I have heard of specific tool required because metric or saw or not correct sizes . Is this true on 1954AJS? If so what is the correct name for the sizes of British nuts and bolts .
Duncan

Re: Special tools

Post by Duncan »

If original most will be whitworth spanner size (Whitworth and cycle thread) with some of the smaller ones BA
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Hi there and welcome aboard.

If you've already got a basic set of tools then just get yourself a set of Whitworth spanners and sockets. That should be enough to get you started...

Here are some links to suitable tools on Amazon (or just get some from an auto jumble):
http://a.co/4kf3dyB
http://a.co/blewzKT
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

If you decide to follow Clanger9's advice I'd recommend you get a 3/8" drive set of sockets rather than the 1/2" ones linked - being physically smaller they will make access easier and will more than likely fit the teledraulic fork damper retaining bolts.

I have the combination spanners linked, (two sets), and they are very good :)

Regards Mick
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Yes good point - the 3/8" ones are definitely easier to use on the engine. I suggested the 1/2" set because it's got the bigger sockets you need for some of the cycle/frame parts. Take your pick!

PS: I've also got the same combo spanners and (as Mick says) they're really good.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

I agree with Mick D about 3/8 instead 1/2 drive sockets, as they are slim and very nice to use. Mine are KOKEN (from Baconsdozen), hexagonal, not 12 sides. They are strong enough for torques applied in our bikes. My Facom torque wrench, until 50 Nm / 37 Ft.lb is 3/8 drive.