welded forks required cutting steering yolk

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
dhgarske

welded forks required cutting steering yolk

Post by dhgarske »

my barnfind 1947 G80 L
Farmer Dave broke the teledraulic for springs so he welded them to the fork. He also welded the top of the forks to the yolk.
I had to cut the top yolk to remove the head unit. (I can feel you guys shudder from here)
So I need a new triple tree.
Anyone have one spare? preferably in Australia.
you can see my barnfind here and the progress so far... https://goo.gl/photos/NbS9Jy69dmy6Gwo56

Doug
He who has the most toys when he dies, wins!
REW

Re: welded forks required cutting steering yolk

Post by REW »

Very interesting project Doug and I wish you well, though I can't help with your parts request (try an advert in the small ads, join the club!)

Keep the photos coming. Are you getting the Honda VF750 going too?
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
dhgarske

Post by dhgarske »

REW wrote:Very interesting project Doug and I wish you well, though I can't help with your parts request (try an advert in the small ads, join the club!)

Keep the photos coming. Are you getting the Honda VF750 going too?

I thought the VF750 would be a simple project and the Matchless be a complex one. but that has reversed... and I realise the matchless has only 2 moving parts...

and the Honda was one of the first bikes with fully computerised and electronic components... even the speedo is electronic... now i am freaked out by the VF750

Doug
He who has the most toys when he dies, wins!
clive

Post by clive »

don't try taking the Matchless speedo apart then, there are more parts in it than in the engine and about 3/4 of them move!

(Incidentally as the Adverts Editor I must comment that if you need to track down parts please use the advertising section of the website. Adverts are free for fully paid up members of the club or £5 for guest members. We don't allow advertising on the forum. thanks)
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix