bolt lock tabs for inner primary case and torque setting

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
StephenG80

bolt lock tabs for inner primary case and torque setting

Post by StephenG80 »

Hi - just re-assembling the inner primary and wondering if the tabs that sit under the 3 bolts that fix the inner to crankcase are meant to be bent up as lock tabs or are they just to centralise the case around the crank output flange on the case? . They seems a bit thick to bend. Also, even though I have various manuals etc I can't find any torque settings for any of the nuts etc. Is it just a case of common sense or is there a list of settings online somewhere? :roll:
Yak

Re: bolt lock tabs for inner primary case and torque setting

Post by Yak »

Hi Stephen.
Yes they are locking tabs. The only torque setting i have found is 36lbs/sq inch for the head bolts, bearing in mind mine is an all iron head/barrel and could well differ if yours is alloy.
Ray.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Use a short spanner, and locktight.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Short type spanners as found in the bike tool kits is all I have ever used Dave. Never ever owned a torque wrench, my bikes have never complained.
I was following a member on a run once, suddenly there was a load of smoke coming from his back wheel, which had locked up. He nearly come off. Primary chain was a mess. Dynamo armature bent. We found 3 mangled screws in the chain case. I think that's saying enough, to suggest following Dave's advice.