Valve Spring Compression Tool

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
spookefoote1956

Valve Spring Compression Tool

Post by spookefoote1956 »

compression tool.jpg
I remember thirty years ago that I needed a valve spring compression tool and a friend and I clubbed together and bought one from the spares scheme as it was an expensive piece of kit. Sadly I no longer have the tool and have lost contact with the friend (he's since moved onto Harley's - unlucky!)

Checking on the Spares Scheme site I notice that time and inflation have not been kind to the price so I decided to address it myself. I managed to get the valves out by using a pillar drill with angled bed and a "U" shaped piece of thread bar I bent in the vice. It worked enough to get the collets out but I could help but feel that the slightest slip would cost me dearly at the dentists or opticians.

Having found an ancient "G" clamp I drilled two holes 22mm apart and fastened in some 4mm bolts and nuts. The screw pad face is covered with a foamex disc to protect the valve. It works a treat and best of all cost me nothing.

Has anyone else manufactured their own mechanics aids which they found useful?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Rob Harknett

Re: Valve Spring Compression Tool

Post by Rob Harknett »

That clamp was probably for coil springs. For hairpin springs there were two types, Half moon type that bolted on the head, and had 2 screws to tighten down and remove springs or a lever type. If the tool is for hairpin springs, The lever type tool can easily be made from dexion and a bolt. I have a real one, someone must have a dexion home made one to show.
The pillar drill method can be seen in tech tips.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

This is the spring compressor that I used recently to assemble the head on my '54 G3. I bought it when I was a teenager around 55 years ago when I rebuilt my first bike engine (a '53 G9) and have used it on all the engines (car and bike) that I've worked on since. The G3 was the first one that had hairpin springs and I found that I had the shave a piece off of one of the 'arms' with the angle grinder to enable it to fit between the wire on the 'narrow' spring. Did the job, though!!

I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Dad left me one just like yours Pharisee.

Didn't have to use it the Matchless though I used the "shovel" type tool where the rocker box bolt goes through the hairpin.

Johnny B

PS also have a very handy Sykes Pickavant one I bought years ago when fitting semi race cam to a Hillman Imp engine in a Bond 875; oh those shims under the buckets!
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

I've made lots of tools over the years, I was only looking at some the other day and thinking I wish I'd labelled them as I can't remember what all of them do.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

56G80S wrote:Dad left me one just like yours Pharisee.

Didn't have to use it the Matchless though I used the "shovel" type tool where the rocker box bolt goes through the hairpin.

Johnny B

PS also have a very handy Sykes Pickavant one I bought years ago when fitting semi race cam to a Hillman Imp engine in a Bond 875; oh those shims under the buckets!
The shovel type hairpin spring removal tool is what I referred to as the lever type. Mine has its own nut and bolt. Can I temp you to do like wise Johnny. Rocker box bolts are expensive to replace if they get damaged.
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

If you have hairpin valve springs with the open type seat (tray), the springs can be removed and refitted by hand - no tools required.

regards
Bjørn
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Yes hairpin springs can be removed quite easy by hand Bjorn. Although it could result in an injury, I do it, perhaps I should not? I have never tried replacing them by hand. That being on mid 1950's AMC singles.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I think making a cheap / free tool is better than a grip to the dentist or A&E.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

From the 1957 to 1964 Workshop Instruction Manual:
"
To remove and replace the valves and guides.
Remove the cylinder head.
Remove the valve springs by inserting a linger in the spring coil and sharply pull upward.
The top spring collar and split collet can then be removed leaving the valve free to be withdrawn…………

To replace a valve.
After cleaning valve guide bores, smear each valve stem with clean oil, insert, and apply top collar and split collet.
Then apply the valve springs which although possible to fit by hand are more easily manipulated with a special compressor tool Part No . 018276……."

Should anyone be tempted to fit them by hand, safety goggles are a good precaution.

Bjørn