mag not working - was fine!

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
StephenG80

Re: mag not working - was fine!

Post by StephenG80 »

Thanks for the time and effort put in by various folk. I stripped out the points (NI mag), but beforehand double checked the continuity again. It was still present between tower for top point and bottom point when points are open. Cleaned all the bits and reassembled and now no continuity at that juncture when points are open. Just need to find my mag points spanner now to adjust the gap and hopefully happy days. The insulator between the tower and also for the tube for centre nut were all good. So not sure what was causing the short ie continuity, but taking apart and reassembling seems to have done the trick. :beer:
Janet

Post by Janet »

MikeM. wrote:Connect plug to lead, hold plug in hand and place other hand on bare metal part of handlebars. give kickstart a good swing and if mag isn't working you will still have a hold of both handlebars and plug.
:shock: Don't try this at home, folks.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Janet wrote:
MikeM. wrote:Connect plug to lead, hold plug in hand and place other hand on bare metal part of handlebars. give kickstart a good swing and if mag isn't working you will still have a hold of both handlebars and plug.

Indeed Janet. Sadly, the amazing 'SpridSpark' tester failed to meet E.U. Health and Safety regs and had to be withdrawn from sale...

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Glad its all sorted. Pity the problem was not really found. Perhaps it was not seen? Years ago I never saw a problem on a BSA A10 until it rained one night? I then saw blue flashes like - - - - - - along a plug lead. This showed up a tiny crack in the plastic connector on the mag.
clive

Post by clive »

Stephen G80 wrote:Thanks for the time and effort put in by various folk. I stripped out the points (NI mag), but beforehand double checked the continuity again. It was still present between tower for top point and bottom point when points are open. Cleaned all the bits and reassembled and now no continuity at that juncture when points are open. Just need to find my mag points spanner now to adjust the gap and hopefully happy days. The insulator between the tower and also for the tube for centre nut were all good. So not sure what was causing the short ie continuity, but taking apart and reassembling seems to have done the trick. :beer:
And did it start?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Janet

Post by Janet »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Janet wrote:

Indeed Janet. Sadly, the amazing 'SpridSpark' tester failed to meet E.U. Health and Safety regs and had to be withdrawn from sale...

Allegedly, soon we won't have any H&S legislation so you'd better get manufacturing quickly.

I hope you're well.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I've tried to find the SpridSpark device in the spares scheme but they're only available under the mental health act.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

I've got one I could sell you - only used once ;)

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Janet wrote: Allegedly, soon we won't have any H&S legislation so you'd better get manufacturing quickly.

I hope you're well.
Yes, quite possibly I'll be back in production. Especially since I've now overcome the earlier problem of contravention of the Public Disorder - Obscenities Act 1836 by including a food grade rubber grommet for customers to bite on when they are using it.

Yes, quite well thanks, Janet, (although there have been doubts expressed).
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ajstdrchris wrote:I've tried to find the SpridSpark device in the spares scheme but they're only available under the mental health act.
I think you have to convert the original STDxxx part number to the current format. P'raps Rob H will be able to confirm...........? ;-)