Another ignition question.

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Another ignition question.

Post by Pharisee »

Carrying on from the 'pointless ignition' thread....
My magneto is U/S and I have to either get it refurbished or find a replacement for the '54 G3 engine. (I know this is a G80 forum but bear with me!). I have in the garage a spare 'bottom end' for a '60 G80 that uses contact breaker points and a coil. At first glance, it looks like the inner timing cover from the '60 engine will fit straight on to the '54 engine.
Can anyone see a problem with swapping the camshafts, timing chest and ignition system onto the G3 engine. OK... I know it's not 'original' but to be honest, that bothers me not at all.
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
dave16mct

Re: Another ignition question.

Post by dave16mct »

It can be done but you will have all the problems of worn bob weights etc and it looks awfull (I've seen it done, yuk). If you really don't want to rebuild the mag (best option in my opinion), you could either fit the Thorspark in your mag. Or you could use your mag to use coil ignition. You already have the points and an advance and retard system. Fit a coil and wire it up. You'll always need a good battery of course, so your dynamo will always have to be spot on. You haven't said what you mag is, you may need a remote condensor if it's an N1. I'd still rather have the mag anyday!
Dave.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I'd check any bearings are ok and chuck a Thorspark in too.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

If it keeps you on the road and you already have the pieces then go for it.