Rear suspention.. again

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Pharisee

Rear suspention.. again

Post by Pharisee »

Having unintentionally hi-jacked asjtdrchris's 'Unleash the Beast' thread with my 'jampot' query, I thought it best to start a new one for my next follow on question.

It seems that new suspension units are only available for bike made from '57 onwards with a rear sub-frame that accommodates suspension units with the 'eyed' top fitting rather than the clevis. Prior to that, refurbished jampots are the only option. The rear sub-frame that I've got with this box of rusty bits that I'm attempting to restore / rebuild into a '54 G3 isn't in the best condition. It's bent and twisted (bit like me, according to my lady!) and I've half a mind to try and find one in better condition (rear sub-frame... not lady!). I'm not at all bothered about 100% originality so is there any reason why I shouldn't fit the rear sub-frame from a later, post '57 machine, if I can find one? That would seemingly solve both my problems. Well, two of them, anyway.

John
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Triumph-Legend

Re: Rear suspention.. again

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Have you tried asking Steve at AMC Classic Spares if he has a used rear frame section of the correct type?
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I have not tried it but would imagine that your tool boxes, battery carrier and oil tank will not fit/may need new brackets, the mudguard mountings may also differ.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Also wierd things can happen, like you centre stand not reaching the floor! (happened to my brother once, he went back to jampots!) It's much easier to keep it as standard as possible, everything fits.