Clutch Friction Plates from India

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
spookefoote1956

Clutch Friction Plates from India

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Hello again, does anyone have experience (good or bad) of these? They do appear to be priced very reasonably (unless I get stung at customs like I did with my fuel tank!).
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
choosey2

Re: Clutch Friction Plates from India

Post by choosey2 »

Hi
Reading your post, I was interested in buying an Indian fuel tank, can you reveal the cost of the additional customs fees please
spookefoote1956

£36! The tanks is good and well made. The well around the filler area needs tidying up but looks fine now it's painted.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Hello
I have bought numerous items from the Indian market for quite a range of bikes including clutch plates for - 1969 b25/1955 16ms and a 1960 model 14 that worked well when fitted after a little filing/dressing over the past 7 years or so and have never been hit with customs or any other kind of import duty.0n the other hand the items (bike related again) I have bought from the U.S.A & Canada have been crippled with import duty
?
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

It appears to be 'luck of the draw' when it comes to import duty, although I don't think it's applicable to goods under a certain value (£18?). I've had stuff come from the States that has had duty payable on it plus a 'handling charge' applied by the carrier. I've also had goods delivered that were certainly over that value that attracted no duty at all.

I think it's probably a good idea to assume that duty will be payable and if it does get through free of charge, it's a bonus!
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
dicsaer

Post by dicsaer »

Reading your post,does anyone know if they make competition footrests?

Post by 1608 »

I believed that the tanks were all made by the same people. But, the varying quality would seem to contradict that. My tank ( £ 180 and no duty paid ) had a light rusting inside that had then been painted over, I believe to hide the fact it had probably sat on a damp shelf for a while. It took some cleaning out and stripping after which I lined it as a precaution. The weld seams were ok and didn't leak before I lined it. It is a little taller than the original which hindered putting the standard lower h/bars on. As it is for an Ariel it has a centre fixing in the top ( same as BSA A10 ) the fixing was over 2" out. But, it all looks ok now its painted and badged. Most importantly it does not leak and will out last me.
spookefoote1956

We appear to have gone a little off-piste here. Even so my tank was made to order and appears to be lovely jubbly.