petrol tank taps 1954 G80

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Rob Harknett

Re: petrol tank taps 1954 G80

Post by Rob Harknett »

REW wrote:But in the end, you push it home. They are not called heavyweight singles for nothing, don't ask how I know...
Maybe not Ron???? You can adapt your AMC bike so it has a double reserve, which may get you to a petrol station, if the standard reserve supply may not.
Just fit a reserve type tap on the right hand side which will trap fuel. So when RH side stops following, switch the RH tap reserve lever on. If that then runs out, switch on the reserve LH tap, for up to another 1/2 gallon. Of course you must always remember to run with LH tap off and the RH reserve type tap lever switched off.
One tip here. By always running with your reserve LH tap off, it can get stuck. If you ever need to use the reserve, it may be difficult to switch it on. So regularly test it moves freely.
56G80S

Re: petrol tank taps 1954 G80

Post by 56G80S »

Good point, Rob. I fitted a sidestand about 2 years ago. First since I bought the Matchless in the mid 70's. When I stop for fuel I have the sidestand down and fill up, never short of the filler and also prefer to leave it full when stood for long periods.

I also have LH as reserve.

Dad's old Rover 110 had a dual feed in the tank and one flicked a switch to operate a solenoid go to reserve and knew exactly how much you had. My current Rover 75 (diesel with the BMW engine) just tells you how much is left and the miles to go based on your average consumption figure; all that when a simple switch did the job just as well in the 1960's!

Johnny B