Rear Brake Lever on The Beast

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
spookefoote1956

Rear Brake Lever on The Beast

Post by spookefoote1956 »

brake.jpg
Hello again, today I'm having a little trouble with the rear brake set up. I bought a couple of items that I thought would improve the brake lever return as opposed to just relying on the rod spring. As you can see in the picture I have a 57 Girling frame with the new bits being a spring and a thick cranked stopper washer thing. I can't for the life of me figure out how they go together and my workshop manual ain't helping much either. Perhaps I've bought the wrong bits.

All suggestions are most welcomed. I'm putting a big bits order in tomorrow with the spares scheme.

Cheers, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
John Jarrett

Re: Rear Brake Lever on The Beast

Post by John Jarrett »

You have the right bits. Turn the spring around and the bit of the spring at 90 degrees to the main body fits into a hole in the brake lever. The lever and spring then go onto the fulcrum with the long tang on the spring actuating on the tab washer. The tab washer needs to be turned (and the fulcrum tightened to keep it in place) to be in a position to provide sufficient tension in the spring to return the brake lever when it is used. Hope that makes sense... others may be able to provide a better description or even a photo of the arrangement if you are lucky.
spookefoote1956

You are ten men John. I've got the spring round the right way but I'm still having trouble with the other end with the long tang rubbing against the frame.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The rear brake lever return spring does not exist on many bikes, not really being required. My old prewar bikes don't have them. Front brakes don't have them. Return being via the very strong brake shoe springs. So if your rear brake is not returning satisfactory, look elsewhere for the reason why.
spookefoote1956

John Jarrett wrote:You have the right bits. Turn the spring around and the bit of the spring at 90 degrees to the main body fits into a hole in the brake lever. The lever and spring then go onto the fulcrum with the long tang on the spring actuating on the tab washer. The tab washer needs to be turned (and the fulcrum tightened to keep it in place) to be in a position to provide sufficient tension in the spring to return the brake lever when it is used. Hope that makes sense... others may be able to provide a better description or even a photo of the arrangement if you are lucky.
Do I turn the tab washer to 6 o'clock?

Post by 1608 »

Oh deor! oh dear! oh dear! Nev, where are you when we want you.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I have a similar set of parts on my 61 G3 - I've fitted the spring with the long leg inboard and the short leg located in the hole in the brake lever as suggested above, my tab washer is orientated with the centre of the tab at about four o'clock and the long arm of the spring bears on it's lower edge. Assembly is a bit tricky but if you remove the footrest you can offer the brake lever up, (with the spring installed), at a higher angle which makes installation of the spring to the tab washer easier.

Regards Mick
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

1608 wrote:Oh deor! oh dear! oh dear! Nev, where are you when we want you.
Been trapped indoors 24/7 for the past week or so John, on elderly caring duties, so dropping in again to the Forums is a welcome escape. ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Here's a picture of my installation - can't guarantee it's correct, but it works:
B Pedal R Spring.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spookefoote1956

Perfect, thanks Mick, much appreciated