N1 mag - damaged thread in contact breaker body

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
StephenG80

N1 mag - damaged thread in contact breaker body

Post by StephenG80 »

I brought a set of points from spares (http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersu ... uct=227200) for my K1 mag (manual A/R cable on LH side when facing points end) and they loosened off after about a hundred miles and closed up. On trying to re-gap and tighten they would not tighten, so I refitted the old set after facing them. I noticed a far better fit re thread but could not tighten up due to now having a damaged thread in the contact breaker body. On close inspection the thread on the originally fitted points and the replacement look different (replacement looks thinner re angle of thread - I am not an engineers but hope that makes sense). Kicking myself as if I had just refaced the old set I would have not ended up damaging the thread - so now stuck as I need a new contact breaker body! - can't find one listed anywhere.

Anyway, my Q is are there different threads for the bottom point with the lock nut on or could this just be poor machining and bad luck?

(PS - if anyone has a contact breaker body for sale or can point in the right direction I would be very grateful .......:-) )
aobp11

Re: N1 mag - damaged thread in contact breaker body

Post by aobp11 »

Your link shows no result. There is no item 227200.
Albert
StephenG80

Re: N1 mag - damaged thread in contact breaker body

Post by StephenG80 »

Oh well never mind - I have sorted it by drilling an under size hole partially through from the underside, cold pressing into it a points adjuster nut and peening it in location on either side. Jobs a good'en :beer: she's running great now and that thread will last and last!
Capture 1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.