running great but surprised by carb settings

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
StephenG80

Re: running great but surprised by carb settings

Post by StephenG80 »

oh well- that won't work as reduction in two teeth won't leave enough in ring to attach it on to the drum- back to stripping the primary drive again!!!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Bearing in mind your 'Vibes' thread, if you raise the gearing you'll also shift the engine's 'sweet spot' to a higher road speed.

Other idle thoughts:
I guess the reasons you didn't find anything when searching are possibly because your musings appear under the subject heading of: running great but surprised by carb settings and only an Advanced and specific search would find the reference to 'rear wheel sprocket' in that thread. One of the disadvantages of developing multi-topic posts (which we all do ;) ).
Or...
a) because you're not the first to wander down that path only to realise that a smaller sprocket would leave too little meat to fit it to the machined-off hub. There are usually good reasons why evolution has followed a certain (sometimes seemingly illogical) path, now lost in the mists of time.
b) The cost of machining the old sprocket off the hub and finishing a blank would cost more and be more hassle than changing the readily available gearbox sprocket which anyone can change in their own shed in a couple of hours without any special tools.
c) A chain on a smaller diameter rear sprocket is likely to make the chain run rather too close to the s/arm assembly.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

I did do a specific search but, yes, all these things will have been mulled by many brains before ours. I have not found any larger drive sprockets for sale though. So I guess most folk have those made up. I had not thought of the space between the chain and SA pivot point - a valid good point :-)