Rumble in the Jungle

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
clanger9

Re: Rumble in the Jungle

Post by clanger9 »

It'll be interesting to see what you find. My Lightweight rumbles in a similar way to what you describe and I haven't found the source yet.
I suspect there's wear on the main bearings (I can feel a tiny amount of lift on the drive side), but it's otherwise fine. I thought the mainshaft might be bent, but it's not. However, the clutch basket does seem to have a slight “wobble”. Is it possible for the clutch basket to get bent or be slightly out of true with clutch centre?

Like you, I did think about running it with the primary chain off. I guess I could start it with an electric drill and socket driver on the end of the crank?
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

clanger9 wrote:I guess I could start it with an electric drill and socket driver on the end of the crank?
You'd need a bl**dy powerful electric drill and all you'd achieve would be an undone crankshaft nut when the engine hit compression!!
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
Iron Head

Post by Iron Head »

Mustn't get off the G80 topic but I was given a '66 Model 14 CSR in '03 which had the usual blown big end that I got repaired. It had broken its crank and pushed the LH main bearing out through the crankcase in the process! That also had a badly bent gearbox mainshaft that substantially ran the primary chain tight/slack to an alarming degree and probably caused some crank flexure too.....