G80 Foot Pegs

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
ELPS

G80 Foot Pegs

Post by ELPS »

Have just pulled the chaincase and footpegs off my 49 G80 to find a length of threaded rod in place of the square mounting rod it should have. The spare parts manual shows two options for peg mounting. One is supplied with the left foot peg welded to the square rod and the other has the square rod with both separate removable foot pegs. Wondering why they had the welded peg option? Was it for a specific model?
My pegs were fitted between the frame and the engine plates. Am thinking that is incorrect or is it? Thanks
dave16mct

Re: G80 Foot Pegs

Post by dave16mct »

Yes they should fit on the outside. To do that you would need 2 new footrests, square rod, and two spacers between frame and engine plates. Why not just get a square footrest rod and keep your footrests. When everythings in place it's hard to see anyway! :)
Cheers Dave.
ELPS

Post by ELPS »

Ok, thanks Dave. One of the pegs is in pretty rough condition so want to replace it. Have to say they bother fit well between the plates and chassis rails. When mounted to the outside, they are too far from the brake and gear levers. I guess they may be off a later bike or model. The good peg has a star pattern for adjustment on the square rod. Do all the g80 pegs have this or just machined square?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

If it's any help this is my '47 Ajay (same frame arrangement as your G80) with the pegs fitted outside on a square shaft....
100_1335 (640x480).jpg
The footpeg lugs are splined (star patterned) internally to allow for adjustment on the square rod.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ELPS

Post by ELPS »

Thanks for the photo. My pegs look nothing like yours. Both my pegs have an identical shape and would work with the gear shift side but will not work on the brake side if mounted to the outside chassis.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

They are early type rests which like the trials foot rests are designed to fit inside the rails.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

just for info, my comp type fit inside the frame tubes and act as spacers for the engine plates, I believe some comp pegs have a lug on the outside frame rail in addition to the inner, have you perhaps got this type? kind regards
REW

Post by REW »

ajscomboman wrote:They are early type rests which like the trials foot rests are designed to fit inside the rails.
How early Rob? My '51 G3 (rigid) has inside rail type pegs. Assumed it was born with these.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
raffles

Post by raffles »

Ron
those foot rests were certainly fitted to 53 twins I had to take one off at the side of the road(ALDI or LIDL car park)
on the john O grouts lands end
Tony
REW

Post by REW »

Interesting Tony. My '53 twin has pegs outside the rails! Again, no reason to suppose it was ever different as nothing snags or looks poorly aligned.
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.