G80 Rear Wheel Bearing Adjuster

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
ELPS

G80 Rear Wheel Bearing Adjuster

Post by ELPS »

So the rear wheel bearing adjusting ring on my G80 has seen better days and it does not appear to be available through AMOC. Bike is a 1949 rigid model but have no idea if the rear wheel is off a 49. The adjusting ring is roughly 39.5mm across the threads. Does anyone know if any later adjusting rings will fit? All I know is they did got larger in later years, Thanks
Rob Harknett

Re: G80 Rear Wheel Bearing Adjuster

Post by Rob Harknett »

Would I be correct in thinking, you are looking for bearing adjuster ring pt. no. 11915 ? if so you will not find this at club spares. Your 1949 pparts book uses the old pt. no. system, so you must convert your old pt. no. to new pt. no. ( if it does not convert, the part was probably discontinued by 1952. ) The adjuster ring old pt. no.11915 coverts to new pt. no. 017224 So look for the new pt.no. now you will find the club has the ring you seek in stock.
ELPS

Post by ELPS »

Thanks Rob, 11915 is the part I was after. I had contacted the club spares guys twice regards to that part number but received no answer so thought there had to be someone on the forum who had the answer. Is there a part number reference guide anywhere to check early part numbers against new? Thanks again
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

1.jpg
As a matter of interest to owners of pre 1952 machines, who's parts lists use the old pt. no. system, I have converted the 1949 lists of old pt. no's to new above. Most of the parts were used on prewar machines and onwards into the 1950's at least. That would be those that I have converted to new pt. no's. Those marked OK are quite new in 1949 parts, they already have a new pt. no. I have also added an old part number for the WD lads.
So if you own a pre 1952 bike, do not write off club spares as not having the part you need. Convert the part to the new part number and you will find the club may have the part.
In 2013 I made a file of all AMC parts stocked by the club for pre 1952 bikes, for which you need to use the new part number to find. There was well over 300 parts stocked, Some going back to fit machines of the 1920's. These were mainly parts with an old pt. no. STD prefix, e.g. STD 1 you need to prefix the number show with enough zeros to make a new 6 digit pt. no. eg STD 1 = 000001. My file is now out of date, Since 2013 some parts may now be out of stock or some new parts added. Maybe the file would be handy in tech tips. It would act as a quick reference to see if clubs spares has the old part you seek, Bearing in mind the file is in need of up dating.
New comment arrived, yes you can check old pt. numbers to new, the are several Master parts list published for this. one in 1954 plus others. This is one of the books that is most helpful. But its not complete, original book had 86 pages. I could update the archives. This is the only website I can work on, with content from my library of literature. The archives website is simple for me to work on with my limited software and expertise.
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... n_List.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ELPS wrote:Thanks Rob, 11915 is the part I was after. I had contacted the club spares guys twice regards to that part number but received no answer so thought there had to be someone on the forum who had the answer. Is there a part number reference guide anywhere to check early part numbers against new? Thanks again
You do need to use new part numbers searching / ordering etc. club spares. Staff and volunteers at club spares do not have time to answer or facilities to research questions. Owners of pre 1952 bikes may contact me for help, so they themselves can then discover if what they seek club spares can supply. Like discovering pt. no's needed, to search for, to see if club spares have the pt. Staff at club spares can help, if you give them the correct information they need, to check the availability of the part in question.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Note the oil seals do not covert to a new pt. no. Perhaps this is because the seals were felt, and now replaced by rubber seals. I've not checked if this is so.