1947 exhaust valve oil drilling

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
zwarts

Re: 1947 exhaust valve oil drilling

Post by zwarts »

The original oil drain hole into the pushrod tube tunnel was not drilled from the outside! Hard to believe, but it must have been cored into the casting pattern. Very clever foundry work.
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

Apologies, it should be BS314, NOT BS 304 for the pushrod tube bottom O rings. Old age and faulty memory to blame!
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

Oh dear, it is time for more humble pie. I had a close look at the head on my 1946 Model 18. You are correct Peter. The oilway is drilled all the way through To the outside of the head, but the outermost portion was then blanked off by driving in a short steel plug!
The irony of all my previous comments is that I actually removed this plug by drilling is out, to allow cleaning out of the head oilways. I then tapped it out to screw in a blanking plug. Only excuse is, it was about 15 years ago and Thus long forgotten.
I am guessing that your head has had similar treatment and the oilway plugged with a good dollop of silicon.
Sorry for my errors,
Cheers, Bob.
hatrack

Post by hatrack »

Thank you Bob,
for the revised O ring number, and what seems to be the explanation for the problem.
15 years? I sometimes have difficulty remembering what I did 15 days ago!
hatrack

Post by hatrack »

Just to be sure, or as sure as possible about all this:
My '47 iron cylinder head has 3 oil gallery drillings from the off side to valve guides.
The metered one to the inlet is not a problem.
But there are actually 2 drillings directed to the exhaust valve guide:

1) forward from the ex pushrod tube is blanked off with a metal plug and has no drilling to feed oil down into it from the rocker box.
2) the one I have been asking about, is the middle drilling with no plug and no internal thread. This has a drilling to feed oil from the rocker box.

I'm mentioning this as it was said that the outer end of the exhaust oil gallery has a metal plug. and as I say, the most forward gallery (presumably a relic from an earlier model) has just such a plug.
So I just want to be sure there is no confusion. I will hold off from plugging the outer end of the gallery that has the oil feed until I am sure.

I have a photo, but not being at all adept with computors, I do not seem to be able to attach it. I can probably email the photo to somebody if they could attach it to this thread, it could help others.

Being part Irish, nobody can be offended if I say, "To be sure, to be sure!" ;)
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

Peter, email the photo to me as an attachment. I will send you a private message with my email address.
Cheers, Bob.
hatrack

Post by hatrack »

Bob replied to my request and will attach the said photo, maybe tomorrow.
Thanks mate!
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

can you post any photos on the thread - otherwise all this suspense will not dissipate! :ugeek:
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

Photos to follow later today when I can get my fingers to work properly.
Hang on, all will be revealed
Cheers, Bob.
hatrack

Post by hatrack »

On a run at the weekend I saw an iron head Matchless with exactly the same arrangement and the middle oil gallery was blanked off as I expected it should be. The owner who had some experiance of the things, thoroughly agreed. Also looking over an article in Real Classic revealed a picture in which the blanking plug was there. So I am now quite sure how to proceed.
But where did the blanking plug go?
I know that the previous owner had work done on the engine including rectifying a sticking exhaust valve. Maybe the plug was removed to check the oilway was clear, and some how, didn't get reffitted.
I'll never know, but its the only explanation that makes much sense.