Clutch drag

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Lassenc

Clutch drag

Post by Lassenc »

Hi!

I JUST got my AJS Model 18 500ccm, and the clutch is dragging, I haven't been able to find any FAQ on clutch adjustment, exploded views or anything.

So, what is the proper way to adjust the clutch?
lawrence

Clutch drag

Post by lawrence »

Hi Lassenc, if you do a search on the forum it will bring you to this link
http://www.jampot.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_I ... Title=Help

This tells you:

The clutch pressure plate adjustment is quite critical for a good action as it works on a cam and if not set up correctly will result in a heavy clutch action. Correct method is to slacken the cable adjuster at the gearbox right off. Then screw the pressure plate centre screw in as far as it will go until resistance is felt and then back it off one complete turn before locking it with the nut. Then adjust the cable with the adjuster on the gearbox to give about 2mm free play at the lever. That should give you a nice smooth easy clutch.
Search forum is excellent, just make sure you have selected 'any date' as default is 'last 30 days'

Mind you, if you post the query it will get answered but takes longer
Biscuit
Deceased

Clutch drag

Post by Biscuit »

Please let us know the year of the bike.

Lassenc

Clutch drag

Post by Lassenc »

Of course I did search the forum first, I know what I have is a normal problem, it just didn't help me...

It's from 1952..Edited by - Lassenc on 16 May 2006 06:17:36 AM
ajaygray

Clutch drag

Post by ajaygray »

I had a drag problem on my 16MS. I did all the adjustments as per Lawrence' advice, and it works fine when the engine is cold, but after a run up the M62 from North ales to Hull, we got to Hull at the start of the rush hour, and the clutch was dragging really bad. On talking to some chaps at the club, they said ensure that I had a straight 50 in the chaincase, and ensure that it was no higher than the level plug. So that will be by next ploy. Its a bit academic at the moment, as the bike siezed up, so a few more pressing matters to attend to before the clutch.
Biscuit
Deceased

Clutch drag

Post by Biscuit »

Is the clutch pressure plate running true when you spin it with the clutch disengaged?, if not adjust the spring pressure screws until it does. Follow Lawrence' instruction re the the cable, but it may be safer to disengage the cable from the cam lever within the geabox to ensure the lever goes all the way back prior to adjusting the central screw. Remember the cable adjuster is just that, solely used to obtain the free play at the handlebar lever, never to adjust the clutch.

itma

Clutch drag

Post by itma »

sae 50 in the chaincase will certainly MAKE your clutch drag; 30 sae or even 20 is needed here,
Are the slots of the clutch cage, or the tongues on the plates really rough and ragged?That could be another cause.
Lassenc

Clutch drag

Post by Lassenc »

I haven't looked at the clutch at all, just got it yesterday remember :)

The engine in only 3000 km, I'll figure it out :)

Can I run on unleaded fuel?
Biscuit
Deceased

Clutch drag

Post by Biscuit »

Unleaded fuel - some say yes others say no - I say yes yes yes.

Eric

Clutch drag

Post by Eric »

When I first had my 1960 G9 the cause of its clutch drag was distorted plain plates they all had a slight bow. I was able to make them flat again by attempting to roll a slight bow in the opposite way using a three roll forming machine.