Magneto magnet strength

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Tigercub

Re: Magneto magnet strength

Post by Tigercub »

I don't think it's starting technique related, as I said, sometimes randomly for a few days it will start as it should. Ive gone through every possible method of starting it..even squirts of easystart. The magnetism thing is belt and braces really....because they seem weak and while it's off and apart why not. I did spin it with a drill in the vice before I stripped it and it did seem to work. Spark wasn't big fat and blue though...more skinny feeble and yellow.
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

I find the trick to starting warm is a really slow kick - never fails - whereas if I kick as I would when cold it won't start. I mean really slow!!
Tigercub

Post by Tigercub »

If doing the mag doesn't work I'll strip the engine. The mag is the last resort. I've tried everything else. I did have a similar problem on a TZ350 once, turned out to be a cracked piston. The plug colour on my G80 is a perfect cardboard, apart from warm starting it runs absolutely lovely, that's what I don't understand.
Tigercub

Post by Tigercub »

Well, Bill has re-magnetised my mag. He said it was 'down' but in his opinion not enough to stop it working...suggests I check coils. Oh well, I should of sent the armature to him as well. When I get body back I'll give it a try with the new easycap. Ya never know I might just of had a capacitor issue. The original certainly looked very old fashioned, and electrical components don't last forever do they.
Tigercub

Post by Tigercub »

I seem to of had a success. Put it all back together last night and I've been starting it all day. One prod and she's away. Not had a single failure all day. Previously that would not of happened even when it was in a good mood. 12 hours worth of warm starts, one an hour... excellent.
Tigercub

Post by Tigercub »

It's still starting...try it everyday. Lol. I can't believe it, my god I've huffed, puffed, sweated, and nearly come to blows with it in the past. Might like to go somewhere on it now..!!